Leaf Clearing

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Leaf Clearing

Post by Richard »

I've kept count - 56 wheelbarrow journeys thus far !!

Some I keep in bags for compost, some I burn and some I spread over the stinging nettles to mulch down and reduce things a little.

But, one thing I read was that it's good to leave the leaves on flower beds as this protects overwintering plants below the surface to fend off frost.

Has anyone done this? Disagree? or have comment.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Leaf Clearing

Post by Trev62 »

Richard wrote:one thing I read was that it's good to leave the leaves on flower beds as this protects overwintering plants below the surface to fend off frost.

We use fallen leaves as frost protection in this manner, also for compost and when we wrap up certain plants for the winter in polythene/bubble wrap we pack the inside with leaves so they act as insulation between the plant and plastic. The Municipality gardeners do this to the young trees and shrubs in the town and city centres here which is where we got the idea from. Works for us.

Most days we make a large pile of leaves in the garden then throw some sweetcorn and tomatoes in amongst it, it keeps the chickens busy for hours scratching around in it all! :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Richard

Post by Richard »

The chickens, yes !!
I remember they followed my rake. Couldn't do anything !

Thanks for the info. Must say my attempts at Leaf Mould has never been successful, but will leave some on the beds.

Good tip about bubble wrap system.

Richard >veg4<

PS.I reckon on another 10 wheelbarrow loads and t's over for another year.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

OH collects our leaves. The back lawn was covered until he raked them up. He is taking a small bag of leaf mould to the garden club meeting tonight. We don't use them as a mulch.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Richard wrote:But, one thing I read was that it's good to leave the leaves on flower beds as this protects overwintering plants below the surface to fend off frost

sounds like a good idea )t'

downside - a haven for pests and slugs

From a vegetable plot point of view, I do like to see sharp frost on the beds. But what I have done in the past:

Richard wrote:Must say my attempts at Leaf Mould has never been successful, but will leave some on the beds.

is dug a trench and covered over with soil and let it rot in situ. Of course, this isn't leaf mould for potting, but to help put organic matter into the soil and break up clay soil. In late spring I use a fork to mix it up - most of it has already rotted to nothingness by then.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you Lassie, I'll try digging a hole (I do that to myself quite often !!!).

Richard )t'