Deterring cats

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Deterring cats

Post by cgisby »

This may be in the wrong section so please do correct me if I'm wrong

I've decided that this year I'm really going to crack the garden, I've already started with a 3ft (maybe 4) bed with a container pond dug into the ground. Now before I continue (I've still got a week until Spring) I want to know any ways I can help deter the neighbour cats? I'm sick of them pooing in the garden and attacking the birds/frogs/slow worms/other that I try so hard to encourage and keep alive

I've read that they apparently hate the smell of Rosemary and have bought some of them so far. What else do they hate that won't affect my wild animals?
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
wendy

Re: Deterring cats

Post by wendy »

Don't know about herbs.
But you can get a product called Roar.
Which is dried lions poop. That works I have heard
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We had a large cat problem when we moved in. Our neighbour had eight, raggedy, half feral creatures, who camped out on our front door step yike* . I could imagine us walking all sorts of vermin into the house.

I had a cat for years, and love them, but these were neglected and unfriendly. They used our gravel drive, and the gravel outside the living room window as their toilet, and soiled on the lawns as well.

We bunged all the holes in the fence up with a mixture of berberis and holly, which dry very, very hard. We scattered the same on the gravel outside the living room window. We were advised to fill empty pop bottles with water and dot them around, and we also bought a sonic scarer. Gradually the visits ceased. OH put a wire frame on the steps at an angle, and that stopped their camp site. I also got a water pistol, but they were rather too fast. It is a problem, and I hope you manage to discourage your visitors.

For a few years people in the village remarked on the pop bottles!
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

Thanks for both the replies, I will give them all a go. Anything I can do to help get rid of the cats haha
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

A bit of a late reply but I've just joined!! Coffee grounds sprinkled on the soil are very good & work because we use them! They won't effect any wildlife, we have birds, hogs & cute little wood mice(!) & they come to no harm. You'll just have to get friendly with a local cafe unless you use them yourself. Hope this helps!