Propagating Umbrella plants

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Propagating Umbrella plants

Post by Gwenoakes »

My Umbrella plant indoors got too big, so I chopped the main stem off on several occasions only for it to come back yet again, so I chopped it down to half its size and then wondered if I might have killed it. yike*
I took some cuttings, two of which were woody stems and one which was just a single new stem, put them in a glass jar through foil at the top with water, first crushing one woody stem, thinking of how you treat roses, the second woody one I left and also left the new shoot in tact.
Several weeks later I had small white nodules on each of the stems, so planted them in compost and am keeping it very moist and they are growing like mad. )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Propagating Umbrella plants

Post by lancashire lass »

well done on propagating )t' - I had to look up Umbrella plants and this link suggests it can be difficult:

It's not easy to propagate these houseplants for the average grower (we've never really had much luck), but if you fancy giving it a go you need to remove the growing tips in Spring and use them as propagation material. Take a cutting of around 5cm / 2 inches or so and place it into similar soil that the parent should be growing in i.e. potting soil or a shop brought compost. It's probably a good idea to use a rooting hormone if you have one and be sure the growing tip is facing upwards and not into the soil.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, LL, I am pleased you posted that link. To be honest I did none of what they say you should. As for the variegated variety not growing very tall, the one I have is variegated and I cannot stop it growing.
Mine is in the bathroom as the room is quite large and now during the summer it is in a shaded area outside. It is what I have always done and it is doing OK. As for the watering, I am afraid it gets watered when I think about it and that is not several times a month. LOL
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, I am having another go at making more Umbrella plants, will see if the first one was just a fluke or not. Maybe not the best time of year to try now, though.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote:Well, I am having another go at making more Umbrella plants, will see if the first one was just a fluke or not. Maybe not the best time of year to try now, though.

I've noticed on Garden World how they tend to set cuttings of various plants in autumn (not something I've tried) so I think it is worth a try, and maybe try again in spring?

What are you going to do with all your Umbrella plants if they do grow?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lancashire lass wrote:What are you going to do with all your Umbrella plants if they do grow?

Set up an umbrella stall ?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am going to start up a small business.....will you LL and Mo be my first clients? +pinn+
I have taken the three original cuttings I took from the big plant, cut them off the new plants that are growing and hoping it will work.
Thought if it worked the first time with those particular cuttings, then maybe will work again. What do you think?
The original plant is now sprouting twice from where I chopped it in half, could have loads of Umbrella plants before too long.
I have grown new Money plants from doing the same in the past.