rooting curly willow twigs

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
kitla
Legendary Laner

rooting curly willow twigs

Post by kitla »

There's a very tall spindly curly willow tree in the local wood & lots of pieces snapped off during the last gales. I brought some home & put them in a vase with some daffodils & inevitably they've grown roots! I've decided to try & grow one for my friend's wildlife paddock, also try growing several others in a clump and see if I can coppice them to keep them small to grow in my garden. Has anyone tried this? I've just potted them, I wonder if I should cut the stems short while they grow roots?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: rooting curly willow twigs

Post by lancashire lass »

I think as long as it is kept well watered (but not waterlogged), I'm sure it will be fine. I planted a willow tree at the bottom of my garden (just a bog standard tree) that I had er, acquired from some local woods (there were hundreds of little saplings - they would have got removed because they were right next to a footpath and in the way) ... I was a bit brutal yanking it out of the soil (a few roots snapped off) and then planted it as is in the garden. It's now very established with quite a sizeable trunk on it so I think willow trees generally arevery hardy.

Never heard of a corkscrew willow before (I've seen corkscrew hazel) and I bet it will look magnificent in the wildlife paddock )like(