Building A Fence!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
stace
Legendary Laner

Building A Fence!

Post by stace »

We are looking at putting a fence across the garden this year so that the girls can have the bottom half, and Mr Stace can keep his lawn and tubs )t' without being eaten!

Our garden is a 100 ft wide, all we want is a 3ft fence with a gate in the middle (so that i dont have to climb over as i am only 5ft tall) :oops: Mr stace is Cr.p at DIY and will freely admit this(bless him) We have been looking at the fencing at Bee and que etc OMG its so expensive we totted it up to about £300 at the least!

There is nobody in this area that would do it for us, so we are looking at other options, we need to get it sorted out soon! The garden is all grass at the bottom, and trying to dig down further than a foot its all stones and not easy at all!

Any Ideas???

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Will 3ft be high enough Stace? Wont the girls jump over?

I have a 3ft picket fence like that in my front garden - only 12ft - but even that was going to be about £100 including gate from the timber place - a builder wanted £450!! :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Blackfords on the way out to Purton are very cheap for wood.
I had 5 10ft lengths of 4 inch by half inch wood for about £14 quid last year.

On the other hand if you dont mind chainlink, or chicken wire, that may work out cheaper.

or a combination of both?

If you're willing to wait for a bit, how about planting bushes, or making a movable run for your chickens, heras panels can be moved around the place, and there's bound to be some that need slight repair that can be picked up cheaply.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

100ft x 3ft high for £300 might actually be considered quite cheap! :shock: The previous owners to my house apparently paid over £1000 for a 4ft high featherboard fence roughly 170 feet length about 8 years ago (my garden isn't that long, I just added up all the lengths of fencing back & front LOL)
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

We would like a proper fence OH dosnt want wire he said, and we have a 2yr old grandson to think about!

I dont think the girls will bother to jump it Helen as there will be plenty to keep them busy, and we are always in the garden with them whilst they are out, we have been looking at some bamboo today that comes in a 4 metre long for £14.95 its 1metre high so thats an option all we need to do it put posts up

I will call those Taff thanks for that !

Lass £300 is alot when your broke and frugal lol

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

look around for timber mills as against the diy shops, they are often a lot cheaper, also you can get the wood pre treated
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

Have you thought about chestnut fencing? it comes on a roll , held together with wire.

You can bang it into the ground a bit too if you wanted - it is something that we are considering. It can look a bit rustic, but I have seen quite a lot of it in Europe and it actually looks really nice once it has weatherd a little.

x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hi Bok

That looks good we are getting rather desperate now :?

We are off out at the weekend to price a few things up the cheaper the better!

Stace
Bev xx

stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thankyou Jen!

Mine only free range for about 2 hours a day and they do mostly stay in one place and thats right at the bottom!

We are always in the garden when they are out, so if one does a runner it wont be a real problem, its just really to keep them down the bottom and my grandson at the top when he comes to visit, as now he is getting older he tends to end up in the coop with them!
Also our garden is very open to the wind and we have had higher fencing before and any strong storms blow it straight down!

Thats why we were thinking of getting the bamboo as the wind will just blow through it, we have some at the side of the house and thats been up years!
Thankyou again for the thought!

Stace
Bev xx

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mine have a 4' flocknet If it is taut they usuallydon't jump over it. But a firm-topped fence at 3' would just suit them to perch on, they like to go on top of the arc. Who knows which side they would jump down.
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

Stace

I have PM'd you a link, you can get it cheaper though. Just to give you an idea.

x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thankyou Bok

Stace
Bev xx

chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Hi Stace,

This is exactly what I did with my garden. My son did it for me. I bought posts, spikey post end things you hammer into the ground and trellis panels.

We attached the trellising to the top and used chicken wire and brushwood fencing at the bottom.

It looks really posh, ask Bluebell and Meanqueen )t'

He and his mate both did it in an afternoon and he created a door using off-cuts, an extending wooden trellis and a bit of chicken wire.

The last panel was brought forward from the rest by about 2 1/2 feet so the door is fitted sort of side-on between them. This means that when you look down the garden, it looks like a solid fence and a lot of people think it is the end of my garden.

It is fancy curve-top trellising attached so the top is about 6ft and Mabel still managed to get on top of it the other week. I have had to take a saw to part of their climbing frame to stop that malarkey!!

My garden is 5 fence panels wide. I managed to get the panels cheap as some numpty at The Range had put a ticket for £32.99 at one end and another for £7.99 at the other. You can guess the rest :-D
Last edited by chickenchaser on 29 Jan 2009, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie xx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

If you bought the posts and spikey end things, you could use the expanding trellis on its own between them, that would save a lot of money (f+
Last edited by chickenchaser on 29 Jan 2009, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie xx
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thanks Jackie that sounds great got any pics?? LOL

Stace
Bev xx