Thanks DTLaners!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Thanks DTLaners!

Post by KathJ »

We've been keeping chicken for about four years now and we had our first crop problem on Saturday yike* Our oldest girl Speckle was a bit under the weather on Friday, just standing round and not eating much although she was drinking a lot and she took herself off to bed OK. Saturday morning she came out of the coop but was still just standing about and dopey. My husband lifted her out from the corner she was in and I immediately noticed how big her crop was and when he lifted her water was coming out of her mouth. As soon as I felt her crop more stuff came out the more I massaged it. He got hold of her and tipped her forward while I massaged her and so much 'stuff' came out. She was shaking then and couldn't stand up so we took her into the conservatory where she slowly started to come round a bit and had some water. We tipped her again another couple of times throughout the day and by tea time she was looking much better so we put her out with the others. Sunday morning she was like a Spring Chicken again scratching round the garden. Is was down to the Laners and what I'd read on this forum that I had any idea what to do. So thank you for everyone who takes the time to answer so many queries, you just never know when you might need that scrap of information you read months before )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Thanks DTLaners!

Post by Spreckly »

Glad Spreckle is all right now.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Tipping chickens is a fine art for sure . You are now an experienced chicken keeper. Drowning them in their fluids is the worry .
Well done , I think you have been lucky as well as sometimes it can become a cropper ....
Keep a eye on her as I believe it can re occur again . I think this is why in the USA they have Chicken Bra`s....
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

KathJ wrote: So thank you for everyone who takes the time to answer so many queries, you just never know when you might need that scrap of information you read months before )like(

I would like to second what KathJ has said, reading through peoples posts and diaries I have learnt more facts from peoples experiences than from all the internet reading I have done. Also members are happy to answer my daft questions, so thanks to you all.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi never a daft question ,daft people but that is normal with chickens.
Unfortunately answers are not always what we like to hear but they are always given to help especially in time of need.
Do not forget a shoulder to lean on as well. Not always to do witjh chickens which is a added benefit .
And it is freely given . (Vets would cost a fortune )
Bob