DIY Auto door opener - parts list & instructions

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Draygor
Lively Laner

Re: DIY Auto door opener - parts list & instructions

Post by Draygor »

Hi Bollybarb, I'm not sure that a mains timer will switch 12v. You would need to speak to someone far more electrically knowledgable than me confused>
Never expect the enemy to be where you expect them to be!!

chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

Bollybarb wrote:Thanks for this Draygor {hug}

Silly question alert, is a 12 v timer different to a mains one? (just i have a mains one knocking around)

BTW Richard the cream background extends to the right on my 'puter.

Sometimes but not always. The electronics are always low voltage, quiet often they contain a small battery charging circuit and a battery so it's possible dismantle them and use the timer part only run from a battery.

Other options are battery powered progammable room stats - £23 http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17585/Plu ... hermostat#

Set the temp to 35 degs then it will operate just as a timer - unless we have a very hot summer!
Chicken George
Lively Laner

Post by Chicken George »

You could use an old mobile phone charger to mains power it, you'll see the output on it (maybe less than 12 but not a big deal - just operates a tad slower)

I have used one for 12v blinking LEDs on my shed and garage (dummy alarm) - works a treat
jontychip
Learner Laner

Post by jontychip »

fantastic, bordering on genius! is there any reason why the aerial tip can not be connected directly to the door?

would the aerial have enough oomph to push and pull a side door?

has anyone used the Horstman DRT2? this is my preferred option as I can let the cockerel out later at weekends thus preserving my marriage.

many thanks.
crm
Learner Laner

Post by crm »

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster :) Apologies to bump this old thread, but I didn't want to PM you just out of the blue.

I've been looking at making an auto-door opener as you have, but had a quick question.. What does terminal #3 do on the timer? I've seen a few 12V DC digital timers on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Digita ... 4350wt_941 for example), but they don't seem to have the 3rd pin.. Looking at the 12 volt timer's videos and pictures that you link to, he doesn't connect them up.

Unless I'm being a bit thick and have overlooked something am I right in assuming that all the time that the timer is 'on' there will be some power being drawn from the battery to the aerial? Once power is cut (aka timer off) does the aerial then know to retract or is that way that 3rd pin is about?

Thank you.
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Post by Abbilee »

Hello there,

I know it's been a long while since anything was going on this thread but I'm very keen to make an automatic door opener and as I have a door which slides sideways, this seems to be the only decent solution!

I'm a little confused re the timer switch and like the last poster, am mostly coming across ones with 4 terminals. Do I need one with 5 terminals?
I'm very keen to start making this but reluctant to do so unless there is someone with the know-how still accessible on here, as I have little doubt I'll get stuck at some point.....

Would love to get some help, it would be much appreciated!
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Hi There,

I moved last year to the country and have increased to 25 birds, so I got myself a commercially produced auto opener (Wells Poultry), to go with my swanky new coop :-D

Coincidentally, I have at long last brought the contents of my old garden shed from my brothers to my new shed here in Brecon and only yesterday found the very timers I used. )t'

You are welcome to have it if you like, then you can follow the wiring exactly. I don't want anything for it, just let me know your address and I'll send it on to you.

Now I must stress it has been in storage for quite a while, so at the very least the battery will need changing I guess, and worst case it just won't work, but it's go to be worth a try.

Send me your address and I'll pop it in the post to you. If you need any help (and as long as I can remember how), I'll gladly assist in any way I can.

Cheers

Tim
Never expect the enemy to be where you expect them to be!!
donott
Learner Laner

Post by donott »

Post deleted.