Bumble Foot?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Bumble Foot?

Post by KathJ »

Think one of my girls may have bumble foot. Went in earlier and she was limping and she seemed to have quite a large swelling under her foot. Brought her in and quickly googled and it said to bathe in Epsom salts (luckily we had some in). After it was a bit cleaner I could see a definite hard centre to the swelling. Google also said smother in honey and bandage up which we've done. I just wanted to check with the 'experts' that we've done the right thing and how often we need to change the dressing? Not sure how long it'll stay on anyway as we didn't have proper vet tape and what we had is curling already! We've got her in the utility room at the moment as one of the other girls was really going for her when I found her limping earlier }hairout{ if this wasn't the case we'd have probably put her back with her sisters but we might need to keep her in over night. How will we know if this treatment is working?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Bumble Foot?

Post by KarenE »

Hi Kath

Bumblefoot is a staph infection and spreads to humans so do be careful when handling her foot. My vet advised bathing in iodine or hibiscrub, which is an antiseptic fluid (get it from boots or wherever) so I'd slug a dash of that in as well (hibiscrub is nicer than iodine!). Soak the foot daily, for a good 10 mins if you can, this will help any callous to come off. Mixed views about bandaging - my vet said not to, others have said to so I think to be honest do whatever you can. It might be good to bandage in some hibiscrub-soaked bandage. Some have reported good results with sudocream on it as well.

Are you sure it's bumblefoot? It's usually got a tell-tale black dot in the centre, which covers over the swelling and forms a plug-like corn of pus underneath. Possibly you've caught it super early before it has a chance to form. I would keep with the hibiscrub, manuka honey (has to be manuka, normal honey doesn't have the same properties) and epsom salts and see how it goes. It could just be she's damaged her foot, maybe stepped on something and it isn't actually bumblefoot. If you could post a picture we might be able to see

If it is bumblefoot, assuming it doesn't heal with your treatments ie if the black spot does form and gets larger, then it's a vet trip I'm afraid as the bumble might need to be cut out (some vets advise, others don't) and she'll need some abs to fight off the staph infection.

I've dealt with bumblefoot and I hope it isn't that - it's very persistant and difficult to get rid of. Do what you're doing, post a picture and see how you get on. If it's just starting it might be enough to knock it off.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Karen, we're going to keep her in tonight due to the bullying and in the morning change the bandage and put sudacrem on. I'll try to get a picture then.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes it have a black top on it.
It really needs to be lanced by a vet bandaged, to keep it clean 'cos they are grubby creatures, and given anti-biotics.
It can kill them if not treated, so good job you noticed.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

As Wendy said , it can kill.
Bandage clean and it needs removing . Anti -bio tics needed . Keep well feed and watered -sweet corn ... Watch her weight if possible . If it starts going down need to see vets . Red my hen had it , bandaged her foot up . Stop it spreading . Also clean .
Let us know how you get on. Sounds like the clever hen told you as soon as it happened .
Sometimes you can see a lump sticking up above the claw . It also will be a large hole in the under side of claw which will need covering to stop dirt getting in.
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Bob and Wendy. Soaked in Epson salts and bandaged again yesterday with Sudocrem (unfortunately I couldn't get a picture!). It's going to be tricky this week as my OH is on afternoons so he's there in the morning but at work when I get in. I'll see if I can manage to change the dressing on my own but she's a wriggler. Also, we won't be able to get to the vets now until Friday (blasted work just gets in the way {cry} ) I'm more worried about Lucy going for her at the moment, think she must know Lily's feeling a bit vulnerable yike*
Kath xx

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi if some one holds her firmly and you have a clean sharp knife with a point , you could cut it out yourself .
If should not be to much of a problem . May bleed but a bandage on it will sort.
They do not knock them out .
Just have to be a bit careful.
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Took Lily to the vets on Friday who confirmed Bumble foot and gave her antibiotics. She's still limping but I think the swelling has gone down a bit and it looks like the black centre has come off. Problem now is this morning I think I've spotted one of the other girls with the same thing }hairout{ Waiting for the vet to call me back to see if he'll prescribe some more antibiotics without seeing her. I'm presuming this must be contagious, I don't want it spreading through the whole flock {cry} The girls are causing us real stress at the moment as Lucy has become really vicious towards Lily, pinning her down and pecking her head - poor Lily is terrified so we've had to separate Lucy as we daren't leave them together while we're at work and we're putting her in a dog cage at night. I feel so so mean but she's disrupting the whole flock. We're wondering if it's the hot weather as they're all tetchy. I don't know if it's possible but Lucy seems to be holding in her egg until we let he our and she goes straight to the nest box. We've made a little nest box area where she is and we're not there today to let her out until about 6ish so I just hope she uses it. They're all a really worry at the moment!
Kath xx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Kath

I think they are tetchy because of the heat (aren't we all!), but also because they may be sensing a weakness in Lily.

Bumblefoot is contagious but to be honest I think it's quite rare for others to catch it - disinfect their perches and flooring and that should kill off the staph bacteria (use virkon or similar). More to the point, it could be something to do with the environment - usually it's helped on by overly high perches (large birds flumping down as we know they have little grace!) or perhaps by them catching and cutting their feet on uneven ground (gravel, chips type of thing) What's your run flooring, and how high are their perches?

Did the vet not prescribe footbaths as well?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Karen, yes the vet did say to carry on bathing in Epsom salts. It's just difficult finding the time to do it every day especially now with two of them and my hubbie on the opposite shift to me at the moment!! The floor of the run was grass but now just soil and rock hard now too and off course there are stones too. They've taken to perching on top of the coop roof while it's been so hot so that's a bit of a jump and onto a concrete floor as it's in the shed. I'll try disinfecting the coop roof where they're perching and hopefully non of the other's get it. A few months ago the run was a muddy quagmire, up to their little knees now it's the complete opposite }hairout{
Kath xx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes it's tempting to say dig the soil over but I can't even get a spade in my soil!

It might be the jump from the cop roof that's exacerbating it. Can you make a step or ladder down for them, if they insist on sleeping up there? Your two bumble feet don't need the added pressure from the high jumps

Add some hibiscrub to their epsom salt bath, it's an antiseptic as well so will kill off any bacteria on the surface of the feet. Plus it smells lovely, so it'll bve a proper foot spa! I found raisins and treats always helped me bath Casper's feet, or at least helped to keep her in place for a while )t'
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Tree branch to climb up and possibly saw dust floor covering , it last a fair while , burn it or compost . The saw dust is good for bathing and also scratching around in . Straw as well keeps them occupied . Even leaves of off trees dried etc. . Natural floor coverings that you can pick up in woods . (May have a few bugs in it as well.)
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Bob, yes never thought of putting bedding down on the shed flood and I've got a big bag of it, it'll certainly make the concrete floor a bit softer. Never heard of hibiscrub, I'll have a look to see if I can get some online. Spoke to the vet again today, she's going to leave some Tylan for Rosie and Metacam for them both. Thanks everyone )t'
Kath xx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Kath you can get hibiscrub from Boots, about £6 or so for a largish bottle )t'
Karen
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Karen I'll have a look. Had the two girls in for a spa session last night and Lily's definitely looks like its going down now so that's good )t'
Kath xx