Urgent help please, blood around rear end

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
SarahC
Lively Laner

Urgent help please, blood around rear end

Post by SarahC »

Sorry, in a bit of a panic. Just found Dee hunched in coop, fresh blood around her rear end. I’ve taken her out and bathed her in a bowl of warm water to get a better idea of what I’m dealing with. Had rescues for years but, luckily, not experienced prolapse or this before. I managed to clear up a little but horrific things are coming out, as well as a very slow supply of fresh dark red blood. She’s now in a dog crate wrapped in a towel hunched with eyes closed. I can’t dry her, lucky it’s so warm. Is there anything I can do??? Sorry, I’m usually pretty straight thinking but the fresh blood has really thrown me. Thank you lovely people for any help you can give.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Urgent help please, blood around rear end

Post by KarenE »

Hi Sarah

It sounds like she's been pecked on her rear - very common for other chickens to do this at the site of swelling (red) or blood. Is it a prolapse or something else? Is the horrific thing coming out her vent or something else? Can you tell how much damage there is around the vent?

She's probably in shock, and in pain.

With blood involved, I'd seriously think about getting her to a vet. She'll need metacam for the pain and swelling, and possibly a purse stitch if the prolapse can go back in.

If you can't get her to the vet, keep her warm and in the dark (bring her in) so she has a chance to rest, and away from the flies, keep her clean and keep checking the area - if not a big prolapse it can go back in but if she's been pecked that will make it more tricky. Give her some sugar water for energy.

Give us a bit more info - is it a prolapse, how big, can you tell if she's been pecked and is there anything else going on?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
SarahC
Lively Laner

Post by SarahC »

Hi Karen, thank you so much for your reply. I think there is a good chance she has been pecked. It’s hard to see now as the wet feathers are hanging down. There’s urates coming out too. I think I need to dry her off a bit with some tissue so I can see what’s going on. If it is a prolapse, I’ve seen I should push it back in but I’m worried there might be an egg there. Do you know how to check?
SarahC
Lively Laner

Post by SarahC »

Just managed to have a good look, there’s just what can be described as ‘inards’ coming out. I think I’d better get her to a vet, not looking good. Thanks for your reply though, it’s very comforting to ‘speak’ to someone.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes the innards will be the vent. It may well be there's an egg she's trying to pass & it's causing the prolapse, or it could be another reason. Is she a regular layer?

I'd agree with the vets. Hope she's okay - let us know how she gets on xx
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
SarahC
Lively Laner

Post by SarahC »

Just got back from the vets with an empty box {cry} . It was a prolapse, but not good, so best thing. She didn’t deserve any more pain. She had a lovely year free ranging in my garden. Such a sweet girl. Gutted.

Thanks so much for your replies, you are so kind xx
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear that you have lost your girl. There is no doubt in my mind that you have done the right thing and stopped her suffering. Nice to hear that she has had a lovely year in your garden and she has obviously been very well cared for. I know, only too well, it still hurts though.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Sarah I'm so sorry to hear about Dee. As small comfort as it is, you gave her care and peace in her last hours when she would have needed it most {hug} and as CC has said, you gave her a wonderful year of freedom.

Nothing more you could have done, except now to remember her as she was when she was at her happiest {hug}
Karen
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Only just read this and wanted to send you HUGE {hug}
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So Sorry Sarah.
Sending you a hug {hug} as i am sure you could do with one right now.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Put her on the Rainbow bridge thread .
She will be remembered and you can look back anytime .
Sorry to here her loss but a year of freedom counted for her .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh no, what a horrible thing to happen. She was very fortunate to be at a home that cared & looked after her.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
SarahC
Lively Laner

Post by SarahC »

Thanks so much for all your good wishes... you really are such lovely people. I suppose the strangest thing was the speed of everything, usually they go on forever even when they’re poorly!

I’m now down to one though and my next local rescue isn’t until the beginning of September so if anyone is aware of any ex battties needing urgent homes, I’ve room for 3!

Thanks again, sincerely, for all your lovely messages {hug}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So sorry to read that Dee did not return home with you Sarah. No more pain for her. {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have only just caught up with your sad news about your girl. So so sorry but as you said you could only do one thing to put her out of her pain. Glad she spent her last year with you and being shown care and love. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.