Stopping water freezing

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Stopping water freezing

Post by amatureleccy »

Wonder if anyone has any ideas.

I have a water hose to my chicken run which feeds a toilet cistern. Out of the cistern comes a pipe with some drippers that the chickens peck at to get water.

Things freeze up in the winter.

I have a solar panel supplier a car battery which used to power a door opener to the coop. So, I have some power.

To stop the water freezing - I was thinking of power some kind of heat lamp from the car battery.

Apologies for the clumsy description - I don't have photos. #

But wondered if anyone has any idea. I did google but nothing came up that suited my needs.

Thanks all

PK
Lively Laner

Re: Stopping water freezing

Post by PK »

This is always a tricky one, especially when, like yesterday temperatures remained below zero all day. Usually, I fill up the drinkers in the house in the morning and this is normally okay if temperatures rise above zero during the day. Yesterday I had to go out a couple of times with a watering can of warm water to de-ice the drinkers. I believe you can get drinkers with a warming base, enough to prevent icing. Some suggest adding some cooking oil to lower the freeing point of the water.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Stopping water freezing

Post by Mo »

I knew we'd discussed this before. Had quite a job finding anything (lots about 'freezing' garden produce, or freezing weather, or frozen peas in hen's water in hot weather!)
Still not found the post where someone shares the plans for a contraption to keep a nightlight under the water so that it doesn't freeze while they're at work.
I've refreshed a few threads, I'll let you search for more (Use 'quick links', search, advanced search)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire