Got my girls at last, but........

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Got my girls at last, but........

Post by OldForum »

Petheaven 07.04.07

Hello All
Picked up three ex-battery hens last Saturday (should have been Wednesday 28th March but the run and house were late being delivered). Well its been great and also traumatic. I love all three, but have had some problems with bullying.
Guinevere - the skinny featherless one has been attacked by the others. She was just about holding her own until the biggest bird Miss Todd decided she was going to join in and things got really nasty. With a heavy heart and after a lot of stressing, I have separated them today. They are in the same run and can see each other and peck at each other through the wire, but I have bought a little house for Guin and I have to say she spent a great afternoon eating, drinking and napping in the sun in peace.
I know you should just leave things alone and they should work it out between them, but after a week of bullying she was eating and drinking less (because they would not let her) and being chased into the house all the time. I tried everything and phoned the BHWT to get some help too. I spread the food and water out into 3's, but once the second chicken started bullying, poor Guin's health and behavior was seriously affected. I'm hoping that if/when she gets her strength up she will be able to retaliate and the battles will be more even. On a happier note Miss Todd and Vivienne are doing really well and are great fun, they are so used to me already and peck at my laces, rings, and belt loops. Their feathers are improving after just one week and they are displaying natural chicken behaviour. They also eat corn from my hand-great!