Cockerels

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Cockerels

Post by OldForum »

Sylvie
How many hens does each cockerell need to keep the peace in the hen run, new young cockerell looking wonderful has joined my brood

Richard
I've only had cockerels once - by accident (thought the chicken had a funny cluck one morning at about 6am! ).

I think 'the norm' is up to about ten hens. When I had mine, I had 10 chickens and this somewhat overpowering young man seemed to keep them all in order pretty much OK.

Watch it though - they tend to keep us humans in check as well!

Ash
hiya ,
Really depends on the breed , the heavy breeds ratio is around 4-5 , the lighter breeds would be around 10 hens . And yes some cockerals can get very possesive with there girls lol .

ess-kay

thanks for that, mine are bantams, the young cockerell has decided to look after two of the younger hens and the old boy has the other five, although they still have a chase round occasionally. - sylvie

Rocky
Hi I am new to the forum . I have been keeping hens for a couple of years now. I was given Rocky a scottish dumpy cockerell four weeks ago. He has fitted in well with my three black hens. In fact the coup seems to be a lot happier but I was wondering since he is smaller if we will get any nice chicks from him .