Fox Proofing

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Fox Proofing

Post by OldForum »

jodi 18.04.07
Hi from Australia
Just built our first chook run, 8m x 11m with a 2.5m x 2.5m house going up within. We have heavy duty chicken mesh, 1m high then a further 1m of lower gauge wire above that - to make the fence 2m high all around. We will also put heavy duty wire on the ground, coming out about 1m, the whole way around to prevent foxes digging. Does anyone know of a fox chewing through wire above 1m - I'm concerned the wire used at the top of the fence might be chewed through. The house will be completey fox proof, purpose built,brand new "luxury" pad for the girls but I can't always be home in time to put the girls to bed prior to night fall. cheers

Wendy
Hi Jodi,
Our weather is starting to rival yours lately.LOL
I personally haven't heard of foxes chewing through wire. But I am absolutely sure they can. So I can't help you I am afraid. Hopefully someone more experienced in chickens than I, will help out.
Welcome to the forum.
Wendy

jodi
Thanks Wendy, I haven't heard of it either but when I bought the wire I was told that chicken wire is not fox proof because they will chew through it. I don't want a fortress in my yard, but I want the chooks to be safe. I've looked at other suggestions on this site and I might get Scott (hubby) to try the "wee-ing" around the fence suggestion. No probs with stinging nettles at our place but snakes might be a problem in the warmer months!!
NB: Chook house is up, only a week or so before we get the chooks, can't wait!

ess-kay
I wonder whether you could put a small electric fence around the bottom of the run about 1 foot away from the wire and about a foot high this would deter any foxes from trying to scale the wire or digging in, I believe gamekeepers use this to keep their pheasants safe, good luck - sylvie

jodi
We've thought about doing this, my hubby thinks that this is a bit over the top but I think this is the way to go.

My 3yo girl will learn soon enough that when I say don't go near "that" wire, she will get the drift as I did as a kid when I defied my uncles advise not to go near the "sparky" wire - never forget it!!!!!

I think I may raise the height though, my dogs are littlle - and OLD, not sure they would survive the shock.

On the rear side of the run are a coupe of very inquisitive, boisterous and protective goats - so eliminating the need for extra protection, I'm sure my boys will sort it.

Sorry to go on about this topic, but I just want to try and do the best for all the creatures we share our home with, and that includes Mr fox, rats, mice,native birds,goats, snakes, dogs, cats , etc
cheers