Dead chicken & clotted blood in nesting box...please adv

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Dead chicken & clotted blood in nesting box...please adv

Post by OldForum »

Lynsey Nichole Barrett 18.04.07
Hi to all My Name is Lynsey....I have frequently browsed your messages, Please can anyone help...Me & my Boyfriend recently bought 6 battery hens directly from the battery farm approx three weeks ago...all were lacking feathers but seemed to perk up within a week or so. We went away Thursday til Sunday and got someone to house and hen sit, all was ok, but Monday morning when I opened the chicken house 5 Chivkens frantically ran out I realised something was wrong, when I looked in the nesting section I found a dead hen (one of the most fitest and active in fact) Ity was stiff so I imagine it died shortly after I checked on them Suday at 9:30PM al were fine, I understand it is normal to loose 1 out of six in the first few weeks? Im also getting very soft shells, although |I always have lots of grit down...please can someone advise me, I am new to battery hens. Many thanks in advance, Yours sincerely. Lynsey-Nichole

Wendy
Hi Lyndsey,
I am afraid it is quite normal to lose one of your girls. They have been through an awful lot culminating in your rescue of them and the complete and utter change in their lives. I think it takes a toll on their little bodies and that will show in the soft eggs ect.
Wendy

Mo
It may be 'normal', but not a nice start for you.
Hope the others do well from now. I believe there is some sort of calcium suppliment you can give as well as the oyster grit.

christie
Hi, the more I read about the effect that battery farming has on birds the more horrified I am. Fatty livers and hearts and impaired kidney function for a start. I am sure that you are doing everything right and it is just 'one of those things'.
One of my girls, who to look at seems to be the healthiest (because she has most of her feathers), often has to rest and is frequently seen stood with her eyes shut. I have given up waiting for her to drop, if she dies tomorrow she has had a lovely few weeks.
Obviously we want them to live long and happy lives, but we can only guess at the damage that has been done to them internally. Try not to worry.
Christie

Richard
Hello Lynsey,

I'm very sorry to read your post. Many of us have had the same experience.

I cannot really add anything to the replies already posted.

Sure you're doing a grand job and the others all settle and 'heal' well.
The main healer is always TLC and you're doing everything right.

[b]Lynsey[/b]
Hi - Thanks to you all for your replies and great advice , all seem to be as happy as larry today! , although one who has no feathers around her neck still instists on putting her neck through the coop (even when shes roaming in the garden!! Ahh bless her!. Kindest Regards Lynsey-N