Fenning Black

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Fenning Black

Post by OldForum »

ilenny
I 'm looking for black rock chickens and have been offered as a ideal subsitute fenning blacks.
Is this a good comprimise???

Mo
I'd never heard of them but you had me interested, so I googled " Hens Fenning Black" and , as well as a breeder (do you suppose he's from Fenning Sussex?) who offers all sorts of 'Fenning' hybrids, I found this

"For example, Fenning's Royal English Dictionary (1761) has this ... entitled "Last Dying Speech of Fifty-Four Malefactors executed for robbing a Hen-Roost," "

What wierd and wonderful connections we come up with through the world of Google.

Black Rock
I have just got 6 Black Rocks and was indeed offered Fenning Black as a substitute. I think BR are better, but it is a personal choice I suppose.
BR

mcfisco
We have Fenning Blacks [& whites] one of the 2 blacks we have has give us an egg every other day since we got them last week.

we got them here - details & pictures in the poultry section
http://www.glencroftpoultry.co.uk/

Jodi

I have looked locally for same, best I can come up with is "commercial blacks". Are we all looking at the same chook with different names? (I'm just out of both your neighborhoods...a quick dip across the ocean, Australia)

Verity Baker
ilenny, I can see you are in East Yorks- we are in West, and the chap we get our ladies from in Hudds has just supplied us with a Balck Rock- one of a flock of many! I will gladly supply his details if you email me!