Why is my chicken sneezing? Should I Worry?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bigshaz
Learner Laner

Why is my chicken sneezing? Should I Worry?

Post by bigshaz »

Hi, we bought 4 adult chickens on thursday and one of them is sneezing. They are eating and drinking well, and are walking round fine. Do I need to worry? Sorry to ask such a simple question but it's the first time I've kept chickens.

)hlp>

Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Re: Why is my chicken sneezing? Should I Worry?

Post by Lilo-Lil »

If I was you, I would keep an eye on her, and call the vet for advice tomorrow if you are at all worried.

One of my girls, who I`ve had 9 months, started sneezing two weeks ago. This came on suddenly and was every 5 mins or less. She was standing, walking a bit, eating and drinking, but lethargic and quiet for her. I could also hear a "bubbly" noise when she was breathing. I took her to the vets who gave me some Baytril for her and another one who was making the same noises when breathing, but without the sneezing.

They made a good recovery in a few days, then a week later another of mine went down with the same thing. This time the vet suggested treating all of the rest with Baytril, but she gave me the med this time without me having to take them in to be seen.

All are fine now, but from what I can gather you can never be too careful with a chicken.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
denise
Lively Laner

Post by denise »

How strange, one of mine was sneezing yesterday and sounded just the same, but when I picked her up she seemed fine. She's booked in to see the vet on Saturday, but odd that there seems to be a few with it around.
4 Jack Russells, 1 GSD, 2 Blackrocks, 2 Bluebelles, 2 ISA Browns, 1 White Star, 2 Speckles, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Skyline, 4 Cream legbars - Phew!
denise
Lively Laner

Post by denise »

Took my girlie to the vet this morning, he explained that there is some sort of contagious infection being spread by the pigeons and especially wild doves. It's a respiratory infection, which causes swelling in the glands and their eyes to water and stream. They get clogged up with cataagh.

He also asked how many I had and if any of them were showing symptoms 'yet!'. I did say do you expect them to and he said yep, it's very very contagious.

Maisie had an injection of anti-biotic and I've got some to put in their water for 5 days, he's hoping as I caught it quick it may stop the others getting it, but to expect it to happen!!
4 Jack Russells, 1 GSD, 2 Blackrocks, 2 Bluebelles, 2 ISA Browns, 1 White Star, 2 Speckles, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Skyline, 4 Cream legbars - Phew!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hope it sorts out for you Fingers crossed

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"