Question on Quails

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Question on Quails

Post by OldForum »

adewalton 22.04.07
Hi,

Was hoping you peeps could help me with this?

We have 4 quails - we wanted to know what they live / sleep in?
Our quails are in with our 4 black rock hens - they have their house of course, this is 3' off the floor with a ladder upto it.
The quails never seem to go in it day or night?

Can any one help?
What should they have?
[color=red]
ess-kay

quails are ground birds and need a nest on the ground a box or something, without a ladder, hope this helps you

Verity Baker
So it's ok to keep quails with hens? We've a Warren and a BR, and I've quite fancied the idea of a quail or two...

adewalton
We have 4 quails with 4 black rock hens - they get on fine.
The quails are good for eating the left overs from then hens, the quails help keep the area / run tidy.
The quails just get out of the way if the black rocks come over where they are.

We have had no problem with them all living together.

I will say this though...you may need to build a seperate house for them if your hen house is raised off the ground.
My hen house is rasied off the ground 3' and they don't seem to want or like to go in it.
Make a smaller house for them and site it on the ground - after all I understand quails to be ground birds.

Go for it - let me know how you get on too?[/color]

Verity Baker
I certainly will! Where to get them though... lots of our local pet stores seem to have given up on birds, possibly due to bird flu, I know not!

adewalton
I can let you know where we got ours from - we live in North Wales though???

Some suppliers might get them in for you - its worth making a couple of phone calls.

Try posting the question (Looking for Quails - Suppliers) on here and other site like this, if you need the address of other chicken / poultry forums just let me know and I will post them for you - ok?

Keep me posted?