novice hen mom! help? please?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

novice hen mom! help? please?

Post by OldForum »

be_cos_i_can
hello
ive not got my ex batt hens yet and ive never kept them before either so im reading up on them all i can. but i still have a few unanswered questions...
1, can my guinea pigs run around on and eat the same grass that my hens have pooped on? because my hens will be free range.
2, the hens will put the dog and cat in their rightful place but will they do it with my gin piggies too? i dont want my piggies hurt or attacked.
3, do i need to remove any plants or weeds from my garden? i dont wanna give the hens a poorly tummy.
4, how tall are hens?
5, i get foxes in my garden so i need to make sure the coop is fox proof. what time do they attack? dusk/dark? where do they usually get in? doors/walls/roof/vents?
6, ive built my coop and its pretty tough but my daughter begged me for an egg shaped door...i didnt think before i cut it! so how does one hinge an egg shaped door??
i think thats it so please please advise! any jokes at my expense welcomed!!
kat

Wendy
Hi Kat.
I cannot see why your hens cannot live peacefully with the guinea pigs. Mine don't seem to have a problem with my small dogs or other wild birds. I think they will 'have a go' if the cat gets a bit of 'lunch with feathers' ideas.
Can't see what difference eating the grass they have pooped on is any different from your hens eating it after the guinea pigs have done so LOL. Just make sure you worm both.
I haven't had any problems with plants in the garden.
Foxes.....any time you are not looking, and sometimes when you are. A definate yes to fox proofing, especially as they are already in your garden.
Egg shaped door??? hinges....heaven knows with that one.
Wendy