I am going to be keeping my girls

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

I am going to be keeping my girls

Post by sandy »

Well it has been 6 weeks but I think I have finally got there!I had to seperate my girls as Abby was pulling all Alice's feathers out and that would mean another home and I didn't think I could carry on. Well you guys all gave me such wonderful support in whatever I did and I really would have been heartbroken parting with my princesses I have finally got there. Having had to forego the redecorating of the bedrooms and no shopping except for food I employed the builders to use up the spare land over the stream and now have Abby Mansion and Alice's Palace. They are both 12 by 9 foot big plus they have their own front gardens 5 by 9 foot with a side run of 16 by 4 foot so the grass there can regrow for their pleasure. They can see one another but I have tiny mesh between them as Abby even got Alice through the larger mesh as Alice just goes completely in a trance when Abby approaches her. I walk to work but have taken to battling with the traffic so I could come home everyday to check on the building work and swop them around as I had to take it in turns putting one of the girls in a very old small run to keep them seperate. I even went out and bought a chicken cottage in a flatpack that took me 7 hours to erect, had to get blokey to check and tighten up the screws and this then ended up in the palace for Alice(this is sounding like a Danny Kaye film). Hurray finished but then Abby drew blood when I had my back turned so Alice became purple(at least people know them apart now) then Alice cracked her bottom beak and had to stay in hospital overnight and came back with huge glob of glue on her beak! No matter, they will play happily with one another in their extra enclosure but still stand referee, I have put up with total ridicule from friends, family and colleagues(refused to go on a course at work) it has cost me a fortune but still have some put by for total rest on a holiday. And...family member paid for lighting and heating so I wont have to spend another winter crossing the rickety bridge and feel about for poo with a torch!On a lighter note, tonight I had the lighting on as I was putting straw and food down in the run for storage then realised it was dark, turned out the lights and me and the girls were in the dark! My they were confused. Anyhow this has rambled on far too loong, the upshot is I still have an love my psycho bully Princess Abby and my tranced out hippy Princess glued beak Alice and I love them to bits and it is all thanks to the encouragent from you lovely people. PS looking after nextdoor girlies, Molly very old suffolk who is loosing all her feathers and a bit doddery was treated to a bit of fatball as she was the first chicken I ever looked after. )j;

stace
Legendary Laner

Re: I am going to be keeping my girls

Post by stace »

What a lovely story and a happy ending for you and your ladies, well done, its hard work sometimes with chooks but they are so worth it )t'

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
JD1970
Lively Laner

Post by JD1970 »

OMG! What a time you have had! Glad things are OK now.
manda

Post by manda »

Oh Sandy ..there is no help for you ...you are completed hooked!! {rofwl}
I'm so glad you have got everything sorted and you are happy with your girls now..just how it should be {hug&kiss}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

sandy wrote:Well it has been 6 weeks but I think I have finally got there!I had to seperate my girls as Abby was pulling all Alice's feathers out and that would mean another home and I didn't think I could carry on. Well you guys all gave me such wonderful support in whatever I did and I really would have been heartbroken parting with my princesses I have finally got there. Having had to forego the redecorating of the bedrooms and no shopping except for food I employed the builders to use up the spare land over the stream and now have Abby Mansion and Alice's Palace. They are both 12 by 9 foot big plus they have their own front gardens 5 by 9 foot with a side run of 16 by 4 foot so the grass there can regrow for their pleasure. They can see one another but I have tiny mesh between them as Abby even got Alice through the larger mesh as Alice just goes completely in a trance when Abby approaches her. I walk to work but have taken to battling with the traffic so I could come home everyday to check on the building work and swop them around as I had to take it in turns putting one of the girls in a very old small run to keep them seperate. I even went out and bought a chicken cottage in a flatpack that took me 7 hours to erect, had to get blokey to check and tighten up the screws and this then ended up in the palace for Alice(this is sounding like a Danny Kaye film). Hurray finished but then Abby drew blood when I had my back turned so Alice became purple(at least people know them apart now) then Alice cracked her bottom beak and had to stay in hospital overnight and came back with huge glob of glue on her beak! No matter, they will play happily with one another in their extra enclosure but still stand referee, I have put up with total ridicule from friends, family and colleagues(refused to go on a course at work) it has cost me a fortune but still have some put by for total rest on a holiday. And...family member paid for lighting and heating so I wont have to spend another winter crossing the rickety bridge and feel about for poo with a torch!On a lighter note, tonight I had the lighting on as I was putting straw and food down in the run for storage then realised it was dark, turned out the lights and me and the girls were in the dark! My they were confused. Anyhow this has rambled on far too loong, the upshot is I still have an love my psycho bully Princess Abby and my tranced out hippy Princess glued beak Alice and I love them to bits and it is all thanks to the encouragent from you lovely people. PS looking after nextdoor girlies, Molly very old suffolk who is loosing all her feathers and a bit doddery was treated to a bit of fatball as she was the first chicken I ever looked after. )j;

As i found a post by Kitty by accident I had a quick trawl through my old posts, cant find the one where i said i was going to give up my girls but i was and this must have been my reversal of the decision post...whats quite sad is all the members bar about two who replied to my give up post and were very understanding have all gone now {cry}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/