Keeping Chickens (by Keelan)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Keeping Chickens (by Keelan)

Post by OldForum »

keelan Posted 29th.April 2007

hello all
i have recently become very interested in keeping chickens,but there may be a problem we recently have had our grass in our back yard replaced with concrete slabs, my mum has said that we can keep some chickens but she said that there might be a problem because we have no grass will this affect me getting any chickens? (when i say my mum im not 25+ living at home im only 14 )
i would be very greatful if anyone could help.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
My hens live in the orchard, on grass, but I know that some people with small hen runs have them paved. A lot of people did this in case they had to keep them covered in any bird flu outbreak. (Are you still around Chickpea?).
Hens are very adaptable, they will even lay eggs in wire cages. But you want to give them better than that. It seems to be a natural instinct to scratch around. So you could put down some straw (not hay, it's not healthy for them) or something for them to scratch about in. They also like to lay about in a dust bath (there are deep holes under all my trees) maybe you could lift one or two slabs, or give them a bowl (paddling pool?) of earth or sand.
Give them some greens to make up for not getting grass to eat.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You are not the youngest to wander down the lane.
Have a look at some of Sam's posts on the old forum HERE
and
HERE
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

im gd to hear that it will be ok and thanks for your help, i did wonder if it would be alrite to give them greens (grass n stuff) but what sort of greens can they have i have read that they like cabbage and grass :P what else could the chickens have?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi there and welcome.

Firstly, no probs with age (sssh, but there's a few others at the other end of the scale on here you know - not me of course!!! :mrgreen: ).

Just before I came on line I went up to the chickens and threw them some dandelion leaves, they love them.

The other thing they like is goose grass.

I tend to think 'if they don't want it, or it's not good for them, they won't eat it. But thereagain, we eat things which are not good for us I guess.
But if left to roam the garden, we can't tell them what's good and not good for them.

Hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to many more posts.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

thankyou for your help but now im going to be a pain :mrgreen:
we are going to convert our shed into the chicken house could anyone tell us how we can go about doin this and what to do as we certainly have not got little experience in this sort of thing.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello,

I think the way to look at it is 'a shed with chickens in' rather than a chicken shed.

http://www.downthelane.net/_RefFiles/Default_1.wmv

The plastic bread bin I put in was a droppings tray under a perch which I nailed from one side of the shed to the other (at one end).
The other end has an old sideboard drawer with loads of wood chippings in.

Although only 4 out of the 10 chickens sleep in there, most of the others lay in there!

Just keep it simple really - perch, nest box, 'cosyness' and relatively draught free.

Have a look round the chicken pages (link at top 'Chicken Keeping) on the site and take a look at two fellow forumers chicken setups on http://www.downthelane.net/chickenpens.html

Cheers for now, Richard

[/url]
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

thankyou for all your help im soo glad i found this site :razz: