chickens and water features....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Emma
Lively Laner

chickens and water features....

Post by Emma »

I was just wondering if anyone had chickens that have claimed water features for themselves.

I'm toying with the idea of a cheap and cheerful container, filled with water and a solar powered fountain. I would need it to be high, to keep frogs out.

Will the chickens be interested?
Can they swim?

Thanks, Emma

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Why do you want to keep frogs out?
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Post by PetHeaven »

Hello Emma
As far as I know, chickens cant swim and they dont have waterproof feathers, but I'm sure some of the more experienced chicken keepers here will be able to provide a better reply!
Emma
Lively Laner

Post by Emma »

:( scared of them. It's not a full blown phobia or anything, but definately don't want them about.

:roll: The frog chorus was, I think, number one in the charts when I was born. ohhh the irony :wink:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The important thing is to make sure they have a way out should they fall in.

A few years back I was going to put a couple of ducks in with mine and I dug a hole and put a bath in. The next day I found a drowned chicken in it.
I really cursed myself for weeks, it was as if I had killed her.

Otherwise, they love water, especially the really muddy puddles from the hose you've just filled their nice clean water drinker with!!
Bit like cats, nice clean bowl in the kitchen, but the pond water is much nicer!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, our cat is always drinking outside.
After th last downpour we had a full bucket under a leakiy gutter and Pat was seen stretching to get his head over the edge.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
I think you need to keep it covered in some way. I have heard, one in the last couple of days, of chickens drowning in ponds, water features even a full bucket. I have a net over my pond.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

if its just a small water feature you could try and place a few pebbles, stones or something simular which chickens can not drown in maybe a couple of inches depending on if you have chicks or not. (f+