DIY Auto door opener - parts list & instructions

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Draygor
Lively Laner

DIY Auto door opener - parts list & instructions

Post by Draygor »

PARTS LIST:
1) 1 x 12v timer purchased from http://www.12volttimer.com/ £29.99 +p&p - (this is the most expensive part on the list)
2) 1 x Auto car aerial off ebay £14.99 (Although in a boot sale last weekend, I found one for £5)
3) 1m of 13amp power cord (old extension cable or something will do)
4) 5 x female spade connectors £0.50p (from local car shop)
5) 2 x curtain hooks (had them lying around shed - bent them to form 'eyes')
6)1.5m x (6"x1") - (this was in my timber pile)
7)1 x very small jubilee clip £0.25p (local DIY store)
8 )4 x 1/4" wood screws
9) 8 x 1/2" wood screws
10) length of garden twine (string, fishing line etc)
11) 1 x dog biscuit container (ice cream container, biscuit tin or some other container)

INSTRUCTIONS

Firstly I laid the lid of the biscuit container on the work surface and mounted the 12v timer with 4 x 1/4" screws in 1 corner of the lid.

Then positioned the aerial where it would fit inside the box allowing the lid to close correctly. This was fixed in place by the bracket that came with the aerial, a hole was pushed through the lid, and the bracket was bolted to the lid.

The next thing to do was to extend the aerial (connect positive and negative to car battery) When measured, this was 44", so I knew the container had to be mounted at least that height above the ground on the 1.5m plank.
Next the plank of wood was positioned at the side of the door, and secured with 4 x 1/2" wood screws through the body of the plastic coop.

The next thing was to fix the lid of the container at the correct height on the vertical plank of wood. This was done with 4 x 1/2" wood screws. I then secured a small piece of wood horizontal from the vertical plank at the point the door would open to.

1 of the hooks (eyes) was positioned in the horizontal piece of wood, above the centre of the door. The other was fixed as close to the aerial as possible, but higher than the first so the string would be pulled through both eyes and in line with the aerial as much as possible.

Next, I cut a hole at the right position in the 'body' of the box, for the aerial to extend through, and the cable to run through

When the aerial was extended, I used the very small jubilee clip, and tied the one end of the string to it, and then clamped it to the end of the aerial.

I then fed it up through the one 'eye', down to the second, and then opened the door to the desired position, and tied the string to the hole in the door. When released, the door stayed in position.

The plastic box when shut forms a relatively water proof container. The little hole in the front of the container, is so that I can 'prod' the manual override button, should I wish to open or close the door manually.

WIRING IT ALL TOGETHER

The 12v timer has 5 terminal in it.

(Photo shows rear of timer)

Positions (1) & (2) are for 12v power input from the battery. When crimping a connector to the positive from the battery (1) , include another short piece of wire, and crimp. Crimp the other end of this wire to another spade connector and connect to terminal (5)
When crimping the negative wire from the battery, include the negative of the aerial and crimp. Connect this to terminal (2)
Terminal (3) has a separate length of single wire, and the positive from the aerial crimped together and connected. This single wire, must run back to the positive of the battery.
Terminal (4) has the 'switch' wire from the aerial connected to it. This is the wire that tells the aerial to switch direction when power is applied & removed

Next I connected the positive from the timer, and the single wire to the positive of the battery, and the negative from the timer to the negative of the battery. Pressing the manual button on the timer, allowed me to switch it to on and off, to test the aerial retracting and extending. (Watch for the string getting caught, and ensure that the door opens and closes fully.

For programming of the timer (which is very easy) visit http://www.12volttimer.com/ where there is a demo video.

I think I have covered everything, if my explanation is a little confusing, please pm me, and I will try to clarify.

PS. I am no electrician or DIY handyman, but I had a go, and was surprised at how relatively easy it was. I hit some snags, but plodded on and did it. I am chuffed to bits with the outcome, and the cost was far less than a commercially bought item. Apart from the timer, all other items can be sourced second hand making it even cheaper than mine.

Draygor
Never expect the enemy to be where you expect them to be!!

Steve the Gas

Re: DIY Auto door opener - parts list & instructions

Post by Steve the Gas »

Top post )t'
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Cheers Steve :-D
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

Great! Thats another thing to add to the list of things for hubby to do )t'
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Yes, I thought of the pulleys, it would make the travel of the string more smooth. But I had everything apart at the time when I was doing it, and needed a 'quick fix' :-D

I will wait until next weekend now and change them for some very small pulleys I have sourced from a local ironmongers (they have deep tracks in them, so the string won't 'jump' out). )t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Sorry, off topic.....

When viewing this page (only) has the forum gone very wide accross your screen?

Thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Not for me Richard - have I caused a problem? :oops:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Don't know, just looked on Internet Explorer logged off and just this one thread has gone the width of the screen, thus all 'mumbo jumbo'

Not to worry.

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Normal for me Richard. :-D
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
plopcar
Longlasting Laner

Post by plopcar »

looks fine to me Richard, excellent instructions Draygor. )t'
Keeper (slave) and feeder to 3 small humans, 1 Jack Russell, 1 elderly cat, 2 goldfish, 5 fat hens and 6 little chicks.
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Thanks Plopcar - Will be working on auto temp control for inside coop shortly, I'm sure that can be done off the same timer for literally a few pounds. Should also be interchangeable for cooling and heating, for Summer and Winter. )t'
angel253
Lively Laner

Post by angel253 »

Excellent post Draygor. I have read and understand.
Just wondering what battery you have used please?
Angela x
[center]Maud, Marge, Dolly, Annie, Hattie, Sirah, Adelaide,Isobelle (RIP Bertie) Plus 3 as yet unnamed![/center][center]cats Austin & Lewis, goldfish Freddie, Goldie, Del, Rodney & Dave
oh & one wonderful Adrian[/center]
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Hi Angel253,

I have used a standard 12v car battery for the moment, as I am waiting for a compact 12v battery to come back from ebay. £9.99ish

The aerial and 12v timer take very little power. The car battery is 75Ah, but the battery I have coming back is 7Ah, its much smaller and can possible be mounted inside the container. The aerial and timer take very little power. (If you are interested in how much it takes, and how long the battery will last, I will work it out for you and post it here) )t'
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Thanks for this Draygor {hug}

Silly question alert, is a 12 v timer different to a mains one? (just i have a mains one knocking around)

BTW Richard the cream background extends to the right on my 'puter.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!