Fencing Materials for Run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
keithatserendib
Learner Laner

Post by keithatserendib »

I want to start by containing my hens in a run before I consider letting them loose in the garden. What do others of you use for fencing material? I presume posts with some sort of mesh attached but what mesh - and where from? I've just searched Mole Valley Farmers website for materials and it is an utterly useless website.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I assume you've had a look at the Chicken Fencing page on Down the Lane.

Wire mesh is good as long as 'the holes' aren't of a size that a fox can get it's jaws through to chew open.

The only other real way (beside frugalily building something about 5 - 6 feet high, is electric fencing - which, if you can afford it, may come in useful to fence off any plants etc. in your garden.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Richard

http://www.downthelane.net/chicken-fencing.html
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've got a moveable run made of flock net that I bought from our local farm/garden supplier. Like this kiwifenc click here
It has bendy posts and 4' high net. You need to put guys on the corners and get it tight, if it sags at all they jump over it (but they can't jump onto it, so it's less easy to get over). They also get through anywhere there is a break in a strand - 3"x4" mesh keeps them in, a double hole is an open invitation.
I spent as much on the battery, energiser and spike as I did on the arc (£200ish 4 years ago), but don't use it. It didn't keep them in so my daughter 'borrowed' it for her horses.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
My run is wood frames, with wire that we got from e bay.
It is worth having a look. The run, now, is 40ft long and we got a huge roll of wire for it. We had enough left over for two friends to use it for their chicken runs as well.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
keithatserendib
Learner Laner

Post by keithatserendib »

Richard wrote:
I assume you've had a look at the Chicken Fencing page on Down the Lane.

http://www.downthelane.net/chicken-fencing.html

Hi Richard, I have now. Thanks.

Keith
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi keithatserendib
I too went on Ebay and as I'm not too far away from Stratford I collected. I got 1/2 inch mesh as I didn't want to take their food in every night, also ondulin/coroline sheet for part of the roof. I hope you are making a 'walkin one' We made a mistake on the first one and I got sore, dirty knees crawling into it. Best wishes with it.