other questions

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
starbright
Learner Laner

other questions

Post by starbright »

Hi

I have a few more questions about keeping chickens. i live in a really small house with a smaller garden and was wondering how smelly they are? and how much noise they make?

I also couldnt find any information on laws for keeping chickens? i would hate it if i got a few as a pet them the council said i couldnt keep them?

I have read up on there feed and mite control ect but wondered where you get these things, will my local pets at home stock chicken feed??

What kind of materials do you use in there cage? hay?sawdust? ect?

will they be ok on concrete? i have a veg patch and a small area of grass but its mostly concrete in my garden?

Last but not least where will i get a chicken from?
I would be interested in getting an ex-battery chicken but as a beginner would i be better with a pure breed?? i am in dunfermline scotland if any body knows where to get 2 from??
Also what age would i get one from??

sorry for all the questions, all help is really appreciated

many thanks

lisa
lisa xxx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Starbright,

They don't make much noise really, unless there's a dog or something prowling around, then they just cluck for a bit. I'm pretty sure there's no law against having them so the Council would only interfere if there were a noise or smell issue raised by neighbours.

Don't get a cockerel !!!

On the smell, it's just a matter of cleaning them on a regular basis, but the smell is fairly local. Also, where you are going to dispose 'the waste'.

With mites, again it's general looking after them; the more you clean, with the weather a factor, the less they will get. I onlt get them on me when it's summer and I go inside the shed. The mites don't appear to be airborne.

On concrete, you can have a raised bed with just dirt inside. I'd leave about 18" at the top or they'll scratch it all out over the top.
Say 2'6" high with 1'0" deep dirt.
With the housing, wood chipping would probably be best.

I'm sure I've seen photo's of chickens kept on skyscraper roofs. Do a google on 'rooftop chickens' or something similar.
The Dutch are masters at small back garden chickens. I'll find the link later (just off to work)

Also, have a peep at http://www.downthelane.net/chickenpens.html

For getting ex-battery hens, go to http://www.thehenhouse.co.uk

Let us know if you need any more help. I'm sure that others will have some good advice for you as well.

cHEERS, rICHARD
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I find that a split open paper feed/potato sack is just the right size for my arc, and if I scrape it every morning it lasts for a week or so without getting too soggy to remove to the compost heap (not sure how it rots down).

I buy hybrid point of lay hens, I don't know if I could cope with the worry of sick hens, bullying etc, (I know they don't live for ever, but I prefer them to start healthy). Well done those who do.
So scroll down the threads and see what you think.
The best I had were Black Rock, you can read about them, and where to get them here http://www.theblackrock.co.uk/agents.htm.

No need to apologise for questions, we like talking chicken
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Post by PetHeaven »

Hi
You will need to check the deeds to your property-often keeping pets is not allowed, usually in the form of chickens, goats and rabbits. Your local borough council may provide a search service for this free of charge. If you dont and the neighbours complain, if you are not allowed, you will have to get rid of them and that would be heartbreaking, not to mention the money invested will be wasted. They do make a bit of noise in a built up area, its just more noticable than on a small holding. When laying its a nice noise and does not travel too far, but they can make a lot of noise when frightened. As Richard says the smell is just a general animal smell and local too, I keep mine really clean so that I dont get smells travelling. You will need somewhere safe to store the food and corn as you will not want to attract mice. Dont underestimate the scratching/digging that they love to do, they can send the clay and bark a long way! I would suggest to keep things clean in a small area, make sure you put up a plank of wood around the bottom of the run, it wont stop them kicking out stuff when scratching but will help contain it. I hope this info helps, good luck.
starbright
Learner Laner

Post by starbright »

thanks guys!!

going to check my deeds and fingers crossed! at one point i ran a very small rabbit rescue and had 30 rabbits and 30 guinea pigs in my shed and hutches all over the garden, the neighbours never complained as i kept them clean and of course they didnt make any noise.

ziggy my stud cat who is in the run im converting to a hen house, is very noisy he calls day and night! no-body has complained although i know they hear him so maybe they will just be releived he has come inside lol ; )

I think it more that if i say to them "im getting a few chickens" they wont know anything about them and panic!!

If the deads to my house say i cant get them i think i will push it, our council is crazy with the enviroment at the moment reclycling crazy, we have all been given compost heaps and given courses in growing your own fruit and veg at home, i think a nice letter to my mp explaining the benifits to the enviroment might help a little.

if my neighbours really dont like the idea maybe i can bribe them with fresh eggs lol!!
lisa xxx