Soft eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Verity
Lively Laner

Soft eggs

Post by Verity »

Martha laid her second egg today- it was soft, and she laid it in the top of the hen house, so they had eaten it before we got to it. I know they can get a taste for eggs... and she is getting enough grit, in a dish in the coop... how do i encourage her to eat it? My boyfriend says she is just 'unfocussed'!
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!

minidaz
Learner Laner

Post by minidaz »

Hi

When chickens first start to lay, soft shelled eggs do sometimes happen. We had quite a few, most of which got eaten, when our 4 started laying.
After about a week, the eggs became normal, and apart from the odd one that got eaten due to it falling on the floor, we havent had any trouble since.

We used to chuck the grit around on the floor, and they just pecked it up.
Now we've given ours a large rough / rocky area to explore, they seem to find their own grit ... we havent added grit for a few months and the eggs have still stayed nice, whole and yummy.

Hopefully in a few days Marthas eggs will be more suitable for you to eat, instead of her :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There are 2 sorts of grit.
Little stones to help digestion, and stuff like oyster shell to provide calcium. They should have enough calcium in the feed, but I do get better shells if I give them some extra.

Yes they'll get into their stride.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Agreed.

You can also roast the used eggshells, crumble them and feed them with that.
There's no harm and it's common practice to do so.

I'm sure they'll soon settle down to a routine.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Thanks all. Other half said that the first one she laid, the day before yesterday was paper thin when he cooked it for his lunch, and this is only her second go. I have noticed that she (she's a black rock) is not as 'chilled' about life in general as our warren. We're getting another pullet in a few days, and think we'll go for another warren!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, maybe when you get a proper shell, it will be brown. The membrane surrounding the egg is white, so maybe it had such a thin shell that it was showing through.
I've not had warrens, but my black rocks did me proud.
If the warren started laying first, would that make her boss? And would that lead to difference in behaviour?
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Funny you should mention that... Two have become three today, with the addition of another Warren, called Claudia. Henrietta (Warren, and first to lay) has taken a real interest in the youngun, and keeps going up to her, and jostling her a little, I assume to let her know who's boss! Martha (BR and last to lay) has kept well clear, but has been following me up and down as I walk past the coop! Martha laid again today, at about midday, in the roost, not the box. This time, it's hard shelled, and has gone in the fridge!