Essential oils

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Essential oils

Post by AnnaB »

Has anyone used essential oils in the coop? I mixed a very weak spray of tea tree, lavender and peppermint and when I sprayed it into the coop a lot of fly things flew out.
I spray after laying is finished and then leave the coop doors open.

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

im a bit scared to use my oils in my coop as i dont want it overpowering the girls.
i use them for everything else (including my ginuea pig hutch and ginuea pig shampoo)
but i heard birds are a little more fragile with these things when inhaled.
what measures did u mix up and with what?
have you found its kept the fly things away?
quite eggciting to hear of others using essential oils.
kat
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
With parrots you cannot burn oils in the house. Or use scented candles, birds have died in a very short time when they are used. I also do not use any aerosols only spray polish etc.
I wouldn't risk it myself. They have a very delicate respiratory system.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Essential oils

Post by AnnaB »

The quantities I use are one and a half litres of distilled water and 2 drops of each - please note that I leave the coops open after spraying and when they have finished laying.
b_cos_1_can I've used oils for about 18 months and I have Valerie Worwood's 'Fragrant Pharmacy' book. She has a pet section in it.
I do not use any bought cleaners for the house or
shampoo/creams etc I make/mix them.
We also do not use aerosols as Wendy wrote not so much for the environment but for the fumes which are emitted and make you choke!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i did wander how dilute it would be! and thats dilute alrighty!! :)
i dont want to use chemicals or aerosoles either.
i spose im just being extremely cautious because ive heard of problems with cockateils inhaling from a scented candle and dying and the owner didnt even realise it was the candle :cry:
have you used the oils in the coop for 18months or were you introduced to oils 18 months ago? (if that makes sense?)
and has it kept the flies away?
in a way i spose using the oils and leaving the doors open to aireate is almost the same as painting the inside and havin to leave that to dry isnt it? im scared to do both. cannot decide.
and when my dog or child (or me :shock: ) scratch or cut ourselves i put some lavendar and tee tree oil on it to help along the way, is this too strong for the hens do you think? i do dilute it for child and dog so would do more so for hens!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Essential oils

Post by AnnaB »

b_cos_1_can
Think about what is in 'scented candles' The food that is sold is bad enough...I've been using the oils in the home and on myself for 18 months. I started with the girls about a week ago.
Try and look at a copy of that book in WHS or Waterstones on the article about pets. I would email you a copy but I think its against copyright.
You should never put undiluted oils on a child even for stings always mix with a base oil. I would not use undiluted on the girls it would have to heavily diluted.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Essential oils

Post by AnnaB »

Looked on the web to see if there was any more info. Found that they are looking into garlic, cinnamon and citronella for treating internal parasites in poultry. This sounds like a better way than the treatment now available for these and much safer for the foodchain.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

oooooooooo very interesting. will you be watching the progress?? if so would you mind posting updates of it every now and then on here?
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Essential oils

Post by AnnaB »

Of course I will keep everyone updated!!
Sarah S
Learner Laner

Post by Sarah S »

Do you not use Verm-X wormer? It is all plant based - the ingredients are given in Latin so I'm not sure exactly what but I think garlic and cinnamon are used. Smells really nice as well.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Essential oils

Post by AnnaB »

Thanks Sarah
I'll check it out on the web.