Noisy black rock- sleep deprived family... and neighbours

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Our two warrens are very quiet birds, but our black rock is starting to cause real problems. At about 6.30 this morning, she started to cluck very loudly, and was still going when we left the house at 5 to 8! I woprry mainly about the neighbours, but I must admit to becoming a little frayed myself!

The hens live in a 2 storey converted rabbit hutch, with a 6 by 4 coop on the back. They are able to come and go from the hen house as they please, into the coop... and here lies my question!

If I was to make it so that they could not let themselves into the coop at first light, do you think she might stay quieter for longer? I have already worked out how to use the bits that we cut out of the rabbit hutches to block the holes from the inside so they can't be pushed out.

Are black rocks known for being 'gobby'?
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It could be there's a fox or some other predator around. That's the noise they always make when there's 'a lurker'.

About the right time for it as well. If that were so, darkening the house wouldn't make much difference.

Otherwise she could be laying?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

I've noticed that the 'laying song' is different, a sort of Bock bock bock bock BOCKARGH!!!!! (repeat ad infinitum)... this is more like general hell raising!

I went out to her three times this morning between 6 thirty and 8, ans there was no one around in terms of predators... I wonder if I shut them in the hen house at night, and they can't see out, if she might just keep quiet til I let them out before I go to work!

Could it be because of the new pullet, I wonder??
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The musician coming out in you Verity!!

Could be she's new, but sounds like she's just asking to get out.

Maybe she'll settle down.

On the neighbours issue, a lot of people rather take to the sound of 'country' etc.
One of my neighbours actually said it would be good if I had a cockerel!
I did once, but I found it too noisy!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

The going out thing is a good point- It may be that I need to pull myself out of bed half an hour earlier to give the Henningtons a run for 30 minutes, and then shut them into the coop again til I get home! Not so much walking the dog, as marching the chickens!

I think I will still try shutting them in the henhouse overnight though, keeping them out of the run until ourselves and neighbours are well and truly up! No amount of eggy bribery will stop them from complaining, i fear!
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

In addition, this is only the 2nd time she's done this in four weeks... Perhaps she just felt like it this morning!
Sarah S
Learner Laner

Post by Sarah S »

We've recently had this same problem and decided to shut them into the house overnight, rather than, as you say, let them come out into the run as soon as they want. It seems to have worked - either the dark has kept them quiet or the house has muffled the noise. They are now let out at 7.00am rather than a painful and very noisy 6.00am.

We also went to our neighbours to tell them we were mortified by the noise - and they hadn't heard anything. I think you are more conscious of it yourself.
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

You're right! I apologised to the neighbours on one side yesterday, and bless her, she said she was already up when noisy kicked off!

I blocked the pop hole last night (when new pullet, who had been kicked out of bed finally plucked up the courage to go back in!), and they were let out at 7.20 this morning. They were chatty when they descended into the coop, but blissfully different from yesterday morning!

Let's hope this has solved it!

Thanks all!
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

So Martha Black Rock Hennington is a real enigma... soft egg the day before yesterday, no egg yesterday... and a huge 70 gram one this morning... never a dull moment...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

bock bock ouch!

(yes, you speak chicken well)
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Verity
Just a comment on your 70gm egg. I posted before that my girl with a swan like neck laid 88gms. She beat this the other day with 90gms. I don't know how she does it. She is now my only layer as one of the old ones eats her own every day and her partner has got a scarred vent and has never laid since I had her. I'm still sad about Floss but am looking forward to July and my 5 new girls.