just a little confused...

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
katandjames
Learner Laner

Post by katandjames »

hi everyone,
we have recently bought 12 chickens (not just for us) and i have been doing some research on the sort of food they should be having. we bought the same food as they were being fed on when we bought them, that is layers pellets and corn. i have found a number of different websites and the info is contradictory. this one (the one i like best) says a 50:50 split of the two, but another one said that the corn is like their "chocolate" and so they should receive less of it! which is it??
the other website also mentioned that oyster shells should be fed to them, while this one says not to... ????? :?: :?
i even found a website that suggested feeding them meat to help with their protein needs (definetly won't be doing this.. it seems wrong.. feels like you'd give them a taste for it, and have carnage in the coop!!!) they also suggested feeding them boiled up soya beans, and mentioned adding milk to them for variety! this is also for protein!
sorry for the speil.. just was wondering really! want to give them the best!
thanks for any replies

kat and james :-D

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello and welcome,

It's not speil, it's great to see so many people getting chickens.

There will always be some varfying views I guess.

The Mixed Corn / Pellets
I don't see where they would be coming from on the 'chocolate'. It's just corn and if they were in the wild, they'd eat it!
They love nothing better than seeds off garden plants and eating bits of root etc.

The Meat
Absolutely right, wouldn't give mine any (also, if you are selling eggs, you're not supposed to give them anything but chicken feed)
I have seen chickens set about a rat though and there's no stopping them - like starving savages!

Oyster Shells
I've read somewhere they are not 'proper', but I know that some on the Forum give them oyster shells with no adverse affect - and I'm certainly not saying it's 'wrong'. Personally I never have, but that's been more on cost and the fact they have lots of scratching area.
I just give them crumbled roasted egg shells.

Hope this helps a bit and I'm sure that others will join in with other thoughts.

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
katandjames
Learner Laner

Post by katandjames »

thanks for your quick reply!
the chickens seem perfectly happy, we didn't want to restrict their corn allowance, they much prefer it to the pellets!
they are in a large shed (bottomless) originally used to keep chincillas! it is pretty big! it's open at the front, and like i said bottomless, we haven't set up 'proper' nesting boxes yet, they are just using cardboard boxes, until we can decide what is best for them. so far only one seems to be laying, but she is much older than the others, and we were expecting a months wait for the others to begin laying anyway!
as for scratching around they have the whole of the bottom of the pen, plus we are planning on putting on an extensive run for them.. but like the nesting boxes it won't be until we can decide exactly what is best for them! do they need to have the oyster/old egg shells to scratch around in in addition to the soil or is the soil sufficient! i also give them give them some of the well rotted dung from the dung heap (we keep horses in the field also) which is teaming with worms which they love!
we are a little worried that the front of the pen is open to the elements.. do chickens need much shelter?? they still prefer to use the perch to the nesting boxes at night, although they keep kicking all of the straw out of the nesting boxes so i guess the bare card isn't too comfy!!
thanks for you help!!

kat and james :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mine like to sit under shelter a lot, mainly to look down the garden to see when 'Mr.Food Machine' is coming I think :-D
Certainly when it's raining, they're under whatever they find.

My shed had a wooden floor - once - but they got through that and do the same as yours and scratch around a lot there.

Interesting about the pellets being favourite. I'd say that mine are the other way round and prefer the Pellets!

On the Oyster shell, I just spent a bit of time going back to find out where I found they weren't good for them - but can't find it. Annoying me that, I should be able to confirm something. I'll keep looking.
But I do stress that others use it and have no problems.

Great to see you here,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi I read on the web that too much oyster shell affected their kidneys and I asked the coordinator about this. She said if they enjoyed it let them have it . I wouldn't give them a sole diet of it. Mine too prefer corn rather than pellets but I have to be strong as they can get sour crops with too much so they get some each pm.
I must add that since I have been adding cider vinegar to their water egg production has increased the latest weight of one egg was 90gms. I think Mo found this also.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The site where I read similar advice about only giving corn as an evening treat was run by someone making the pellets. Their theory was that they should be given as many pellets as they can stuff themselves with and anything that reduces their appetite for them is a bad thing. They also said that if they ate lots of their well balanced pellets they wouldn't need oyster shell or anything else.
My hens love any scraps I have, they come running with wings flapping as soon as they see (or hear) me.
wendy

Post by wendy »

same here Mo. They get anything and everything. Last night it was the remains of a chinese. They loved it.
Everything in moderation I think.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Poor chap yike*
wendy

Post by wendy »

ha ha ha, your off again aren't you?......A Chinese Meal !!

katandjames
Learner Laner

Post by katandjames »

wow never though about that sort of thing before.. i was just doing the usual kitchen compost type waste.. although did read somewhere that leeks can make their eggs taste of onions... does this go for onions as well????
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think so. I spent ages picking out the onions and mushrooms. I am not certain that mushrooms are poisonous for chickens, as they are for parrots. So didn't risk it.
Wendy

keithatserendib
Learner Laner

Post by keithatserendib »

Richard wrote:The Meat
Absolutely right, wouldn't give mine any (also, if you are selling eggs, you're not supposed to give them anything but chicken feed)
I have seen chickens set about a rat though and there's no stopping them - like starving savages!

Do they eat slugs, snails, worms or caterpillars etc? Is that not meat?

keithatserendib
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good point and I'm not absolutely sure what the answer is.
Yes, they will eat 'meat' if they have the chance.

I guess they are raw and in the case of rats (or if you've a cut leg), they will always go for blood literally.

I think we are speaking in the terms of cooked 'processed' meat like Beef, Lamb etc.
Maybe it's just our own pre-conceptions.

The answer I feel is always 'What if they were in the wild' with no mixed corn and pellets - what would they eat? and it wouldn't be cooked beef etc.

Hope I'm n ot digging a hole for myself!)hlp>

Richard :)
minidaz
Learner Laner

Post by minidaz »

Ours have mainly pellets, with the odd bit of corn thrown in later in the day sometimes. They go mad for grapes ... running up to us and trying to get them out the bag.

We've tried giving them scraps that would normally go to compost, but they just arnt bothered. We've got fussy chickens :-D

We've never given them meat, and wouldnt from the kitchen, but they do love worms etc when they get a chance.

Daz
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I thought the ban on meat came with the BSE crisis, a reaction from feeding animals any old rubbish, partially cooked and calling it 'protien'
My theory is that anything that is fit for me to eat for dinner is fit for me to eat processed into eggs, so they get the cooked leftovers, if not too salty. I wouldn't give them raw meat, but they do eat worms etc.