just a little confused...

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Ours get their layers pellets first thing, and then corn later in the day. I cooked too much pasta the other day for tea, and that went down well. They do love slugs, but only the little ones! They spent a good hour or so digging over the newly created raised veg patch looking for tasty morsels. Thankfully, there's no veg in it yet, just rhubarb... When they got bored with that, two of them moved on to next dorr's garden, so a rescue operation had to be mounted before they found the slug pellets on the hostas!

From what I've read, the general concensus seems tobe pellets as a 'basic', corn after lunch, and then treats here and there.
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!

seahorse
Legendary Laner

what to feed

Post by seahorse »

I buy mixed corn for the rooster but he prefers left over fruit salad . melon, blueberries, strawberries and grapes, without custard or cream :-D
Looove chucks!
Clive
Lively Laner

Post by Clive »

In preparation for the arrival of our first chickens on Saturday, we bought a bag of something our local supplier calls "treat" for use as a scratch feed to suppliment the layers pellets.

It includes corn, wheat and other grains as well as fruit, oyster shell and grit.

by the way it looks and smells, I may well be joining them for a handful in the afternoons! Alpen for chickens!!
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
If it's not worth doing, let the Home Secretary do it.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think I'll stick to Corn Flakes and a slice of toast :shock:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Verity wrote:Ours get their layers pellets first thing, and then corn later in the day. I cooked too much pasta the other day for tea, and that went down well. They do love slugs, but only the little ones! They spent a good hour or so digging over the newly created raised veg patch looking for tasty morsels. Thankfully, there's no veg in it yet, just rhubarb... When they got bored with that, two of them moved on to next dorr's garden, so a rescue operation had to be mounted before they found the slug pellets on the hostas!

From what I've read, the general concensus seems tobe pellets as a 'basic', corn after lunch, and then treats here and there.

Verity, be careful I read on a chicken site somewhere that Rhubarb leaves are actually poisonous to hens.
I have two clumps of rhubarb in my garden and when the hens are OUT I keep a close watch on them, though as yet they do not bother with it, do they know it is no good for them, if so who told them.
Grapes of the green variety are my chucks favourites, they go wild for them, purchased a box of red yesterday, they will eat them, but nothing like as keen as the green. )chu:
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Thanks for that Phil. They aren't bothered about the rhubarb (though, by looking at the leaves, SOMEONE is!)... the young beans though are a different story! I must try grapes, but think I'd be a bit bitter about handing them over!

The ladies have discovered a source of great fun and yummy grubs at the back of the garden. We keep various small animals (rabbit, GP, degus, hamster) and when I clean them out, I put all the used hay/ straw/ shavings on a heap at the end of the garden. Or at least it WAS a heap... now it's EVEYWHERE...
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Verity.
Before I read that rhubarb leaves were poisonous, my girls totally devoured the whole plant. Leaves, stalk... every last bit. They are still walking around as right as nine pence. Mo did say something somewhere on here that after July the poison starts to concentrate or something like that.
But my poor plant didn't get to survive that long. It is now barracaded from them, so I can have some this year.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning