Wandering Hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Wandering Hens

Post by Phil Black Rock »

My 6 Black Rocks are now around 20 weeks old and for the last few weeks I have let them have the run of the garden.
To start with they stuck close to their hut, but they now have gained confidence and love to raid my neighbours garden and feed on her flowers.
I have placed an order for some electric mesh fence, 4 foot high to keep my chucks on my garden.
Is this electric fence the way to go, I am scared of the chucks getting chased by the neighbour of my neighbours dog, so hope this kind of fence will keep chucks in, dogs out........ )chu:

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Phil,

It'll keep their dog out of your garden :-D

The furthermost point mine have roamed is the Pub, about 100 meters.

I think that'll be OK Better safe than sorry, I saw a dog set about one of my chickens once and it's not pretty.

There's a field close to here where they have about 30 chickens, with Coop, surrounded by just an electric fence. I've never seen any of them on the outside.

Most creatures, especially dogs, sense the elctricity well before they touch it I imagine it's the same for chickens? I remember a dog once leap frogging accross 18 railway tracks at London Victoria!

Should be OK. Certainly neater than my Stalug Luft job!!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have the 4' mesh but found that they got out sometimes. But I put it in a square(ish) enclosure, so had a job to keep it straight and tight. If it's permanently in one place you should be able to get it right with guys at the end so that it doesn't sag and the bottom strand is taut.
Then as long as they are clipped and have nothing to jump up on, you have some chance of keeping then in. I don't electrify mine, I wasn't convinced that it made a lot of difference, so mine soon find any breaks in the net, a double size square is big enough to step out of.
Some of their dust bath holes look like escape tunnels too.

Is there an idea for a film here? I could make my fortune!

Bird brains maybe, but the crows and blackbirds have all day to work out how to get my cherries and strawberries, the hens to find a way out.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

escapeees

Post by seahorse »

I know all about escaping chickens. The vet appointment was made and the Rooster shut in the old coop, which was padlocked , chained , padlocked again and submerged in a large tank of water. No not really but I still think he would have gotten out of that! Next day , he was gone and not a feather to be seen. POORLY CHICKEN MAKES MIRACULOUS RECOVERY. He turned up the next day almost fully recovered, vet appointment cancelled, and no sign of how he made his escape. He is permanently free range.
Annie (f+
Looove chucks!