New chicken keeper

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Davina
Learner Laner

New chicken keeper

Post by Davina »

Hi all
I recently aquired 3 1 week old chicks from our local primary school when I was told that if I didn't take them they would return to a battery farm.. They are presently living in the office at the back of the house, in a large plastic box with 2 lamps over them and a 4inch high perch. I have just bought a large dog kennel that I'm going to convert.
I have found this website extremely useful but still have a few questions.
1 When can they go outside and without heat lamp (husband getting tetchy about smelly office)
2 Do you 'feed' them grit seperatly or do you mix it with feed?
3 I have a horrid feeling that I have 2 cockrels and 1 hen when can I introduce other hens (I've found that i can go to selby auctions and buy young hens).

Any help greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Davina

Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Hi Davina,
You sound like a total star, and I promise you, you won't regret what you've done for those chicks! I'm not sure about the heat lamp etc, but as for grit, there are a couple of things I've tried.

I sometimes leave a dish in the coop, but found that although our Warrens took the grit, our black rock wouldn't. So... I put a dish of layers pellets in, and then throw one or two handfuls of grit down in the afternoons... over this, I throw down the corn that they have after lunch, and lo and behold, the grit gets picked up with the corn, and no more soft eggs!

Will you keep one of the cockerels do you think? Or find one or both a new home?

Verity
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!
Davina
Learner Laner

Post by Davina »

Hi Verity

Thanks for that info,I'll try all of those.. I'm not sure what to do yet.. If they don't fight I'll keep both and get more hens, or rehome one.. It depends how noisy they are and if we get any complaints.. they will be living on my allotment so fingers crossed I won't get any disgruntled neighbours..

Cheers

Davina
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

All wise stuff and good on you.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Richard )t' (and welcome)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome