Questions questions????

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Davina
Learner Laner

Questions questions????

Post by Davina »

Hi all
I recently aquired 3 1 week old chicks from our local primary school when I was told that if I didn't take them they would return to a battery farm.. They are presently living in the office at the back of the house, in a large plastic box with 2 lamps over them and a 4inch high perch. I have just bought a large dog kennel that I'm going to convert.
I have found this website extremely useful but still have a few questions.
1 When can they go outside and without heat lamp (husband getting tetchy about smelly office)
2 Do you 'feed' them grit seperatly or do you mix it with feed?
3 I have a horrid feeling that I have 2 cockrels and 1 hen when can I introduce other hens, and will 2 cockerels live happily together?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Davina

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Davina,
How lovely of you to stop these little birds going to a battery. The boys would fare worse ie: death. Mind you the girls have a living hell, so perhaps the boys are better off? I have wondered where these chicks go once they have hatched for the schools. I thought they would be despatched straight away, obviously not.
I can't help out with the heated lamp etc, as I have only ever had rescue battery hens. I am sure someone will help out.
I feed the grit seperately, but I think yours will be too young at the moment.
Once again, never had any males. Sorry I am not much help.

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning