HELP MY CHUCKS ARE TRYING TO KILL MY NEW GIRLS !!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
MAX
Learner Laner

Post by MAX »

hi i stumbled across this web site while trying to find some advice. i have recently tried to introduce 3 ex battery hens to my original 2 girls with out much success. the 3 ex batts get on great & dont attack my other 2 but they on the other hand are being really aggresive & drawing blood at every opportunity. it has been 6 days now and they have only managed to spend a few hours each day together before i have to separate them for fear of a death on my hands ! at the moment i have separated the "chicken garden " in 2 so they can see each other but not get together although my original 2 try their hardest to get a peck when ever the others are too close to the fence. any advice would be greatly appreciated, please

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First

wendy

Post by wendy »

That dam pecking order again !!
I would totally seperate during the daytime, but they are close enough to see and be near each other.
Of a night once they are settled put the new girls in with the 'older' ones. I think it took a couple of weeks for my lot to get on.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Max
I too have this problem I inherited two girls 2 years ago and last April rescued 2 new ones. I could not get them to mix so therefore I have kept them apart. One of the new ones had to be humanely dispatched the other week so I now have a lone one and the other 2.
I am getting 5 in July and this time I know how to get them together.
I was over protective with the last two and this time I will have to step back.
I have been told to spray them all with a vinegar and water solution and put them all in the coop at night. The next morning they all smell the same and the fighting/pecking lessons.
MAX
Learner Laner

Post by MAX »

thanks for the good advice, i too tried the water & vinegar thing but it didnt make any difference. my original 2 seem to work as a team ambushing & attacking the others to such an extent that the ex batts have some very nasty wounds. they are separated now although they can still see each other & i think i am going to keep them like this until they get their feathers back as they are quite bald. unfortunately i work nights so am not at home to put them all to bed together & oversee it very often. i have decided to give the ex batts a month to build up their strength & fitness & will then try to introduce them all over again. thank you again for your help
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Max,

Certainly sounds a good idea.
I must admit I've never had that bigger problem. Guess it's the old 'some and some'.
I reckon six weeks is a good guideline.

I'm sure that following the advice, they will settle down. Just like cats really, it takes time, but once done - all's well.

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome