chickens not laying

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
julescooperdragonfly
Learner Laner

chickens not laying

Post by julescooperdragonfly »

I bought 5 hens in September, 1 Black Rock, Speckledy, Bluebell, Lohmann and a Whitestar. Three are regularly laying, the Whitestar definitely isnt. Is this normal?? She regularly sits in the laying box but I think she's just keeping warm. Any info gladly received. +confused+

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Re: chickens not laying

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Luck of the draw sometimes, they are all laying ? but some more frequently than others ?. As long as they look healthy and have the correct food you cannot do much more.

Think you might get this post moved into chookyland when a mod pops in )t'

you will get a better response there
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
perchy

Post by perchy »

Popped in {rofwl}

I think it is a matter of waiting }hairout{ it has been a hard winter and now the days are getting a little longer all being well they should start to lay, good pellets, grit and plenty of fresh water, somewhere cosy and darkish to lay their eggs )t' is there a possibility they are laying somewhere "secret".
Have they been wormed?
It is normal for some to stop laying or not lay at all til the spring, they like to keep us guessing )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi

Welcome to the forum :-D

If it's any consolation, I have a White Star and she took quite a while to come into lay. Also as Perchy has said, they often won't lay until the days get longer. I'm sure she'll lay soon, and they'll be the prettiest white eggs you've seen in a long while )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's chickens do as chickens do, but sometimes they don't do!

If you see what I mean, like the others I'm sure she'll come good.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome