Confused!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Clive
Lively Laner

Confused!!

Post by Clive »

I'm a little surprised and somewhat confused about the behaviour of our first chickens (four point of lay blackrocks that we brought home yesterday)

The supplier they came from, told us not to expect to see them much while the weather was bad and I know I read somewhere that they tend to stay in a lot when it's blowy and wet, so I was shocked to see them scratching around quite happily in strong winds and sheeting rain this afternoon.

They have plenty of the same layers pellets they were reared on and clean water in their new home, but because they were out and about, I also gave them some scratch feed, which they loved and they finally put themselves to bed at around 8 O'clock.

Considering I nearly drowned walking the 40 yards from the house to check on them, are my birds unusual? maybe there's something about their housing they don't like? or could it just be me taking the info regarding bad weather too seriously and being over cautious?

I'd like to know what you think....
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
If it's not worth doing, let the Home Secretary do it.

wendy

Post by wendy »

Same here Clive. My girls get like drown rats, absolutely soaked. I have their house and a part of the run covered so they have no need to go out. But they do.
I worry that when they go to bed they do so, very wet. But this morning out they come dry as a bone as straight out again !!!!!
I personally don't think they have read all the information.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I've always told my son that thing's are completely different once you get out the northern side of the Dartford Tunnel.

)j;

New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

ha ha
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Apologies Clive, I should not jest!!

Mine don't roam about in the rain, but they have many spots to shelter in.
Saying that, they don't shelter inside the sheds, just in the covered food area and some tatty old corrugated sheeting I have.

They're probably just thankful to be in the place they're in I suppose.

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Clive
Lively Laner

Post by Clive »

I'm pleased to hear that mine aren't uniquely mad. Thanks for the reassurance......

And it's good to hear that your son's education is not being neglected Richard...

I'd almost forgotten what the A20 is like during rush-hour...(Shudders with relief) I spent half my childhood working on the K.E.S.R. (Kent and East Sussex Railway for those not familliar with rural Kent)
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
If it's not worth doing, let the Home Secretary do it.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Clive,

Just posted a video of some of my ex-batts

In case you hadn't seen, I'm ex-railway - blimey we could talk for hours!

I live in Ashford.