Help !! re chicken keeping

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
newchicks
Learner Laner

Post by newchicks »

I am a newbie !! My children want to keep some chickens for egg laying.
I have an area of 11 feet by 5 feet adjacent to a shed which is enclosed on three sides. At the moment it has a stone chipping base,but has concrete underneath.

Is this area large enough to create a run for four chickens (including the house) or do they need additional roaming space ?

Ideally they would not leave this run area.

What base should I use and can you recomend a wooden coop that would be suitable and not too expensive ?

And finally are there any noise issues at all to consider as it is near the neighbours boundary fence ?

Many thanks

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello,

Ample space I'd say.

Have a peep at Claires set up on the Forum Members Photo Page
http://www.downthelane.net/forum-photo-page.html

You could put a raised earh box for them to scrape and dust bath in. But you'll need tallish sides as they'll scrape it over the top and all over the place!

Roaming free would be a nice bonus, but make sure they can't get out (dogs and neighbours) and watch any green plants or flowers like Lupins which have seeds. They'll decimate them!
So, maybe 'under supervision'!

Cost wise, you'd be better off building your own coop, or just an ordinary garden shed and making a peep-hole door. Just put a couple of branches or wood (about 2"x4") for them to perch on and an area for them to nest.
You can buy or build fancy setups, but they'll lay just as well in a Lawnmower box or Cardboard Box - trust us :-D :-D

With the noise, they cluck a bit when laying and cluck more urgently if there's something like a fox, large bird, dog, cat prowling.
If you have other pets, this will wear off as they get to know they're part of the same household.

Any questions - fire away!

Nice to meet you, take care, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
newchicks
Learner Laner

chicken keeping newbie

Post by newchicks »

Richard Many thanks.

Should I retain the stone chipping base and construct the earth tray above this ?

What size does the earth tray need to be if the total run area is 11 feet by 5 feet inc the house ?

Is the current boundary of five foot high fence panels round three sides ok if I construct a fourth side in mesh with an access door ?

Will I need a roof as well ?

Which are the best chickens to buy for young children to keep and where do we get them from ?

We are near Preston in Lancashire

Sorry for so many question !! Andrew
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

i have a question how do you get the chickens to go back in to the run??????Stupid question i know !!!!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
When it starts to get dusk, my girls start to gravitate to the house, pecking around outside. They then eventually go to bed on their own. I go out as it gets dark and close them in.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

If the girls are used to you digging up worms for them - when they see you with a fork/spade they will follow you anywhere.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

im struggling with the bedtime routine too!
when its starts to feel that little bit cooler and im thinking about closing the back door and putting them away,i walk through my kitchen only to find them all huddled up in different corners of it! i then have to pick them up individually and put them away but as i put the second and third ones away the others try to escape! im too scared to leave my back door open and just let them find their own way back incase they dont, and foxes start roaming about 7.30 at the moment (just as the ladies come into the kitchen)
what time did everyones take themselves to bed tonight?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Chickens certainly 'home'.

If unsure, a handful of their favourite treat helps!

Saying that, when I had a lot and couldn't count them, I'd often find one neatly perched in the Coalshed.
One used to stand outside the back door every morning, even tapped the catflap a few times!!

Your sides seem OK. Don't forget to sink them into the ground about 8" plus, or put wide planks around the edge. Foxes go under and up, but usually not under, along and up.

The box I would say about 4' x 3' ??
Any height really, maybe minimum of 18", with at least a 12" drop into the earth.
They'll comfortably jump up 3 to 4 feet.
Make sure you have a roof though, or they'll simply use the sides of the dirt box as a halfway jumping out post!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Candy went in when I was watering the vegetables 9pm and I popped the other 2 in their coop...well they were up at 5.30 this morning. I went back to bed!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Tonight I went out at 9 30pm and they were all on their perches ready for bed. We then took our wine and sat outside and have just, at 22.30 came in. What a lovely evening.
I have to say to start with they were shut in their run and didn't free range the garden until 6 weeks later. So they had got into a routine then. Mine don't come into the house as I have a gate to stop the dogs getting with them My littlies are no trouble but my German Shepherd.... I am just not sure her intentions are honourable.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning