securing the garden

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
r0ss
Learner Laner

securing the garden

Post by r0ss »

I want to get some chickens for my suburban garden. They'll be in a fixed run which will be a generous size (about 9 foot x 7 foot for 3 or 4 hens) but I'd like to let them out in the garden occasionally when I'm out working there. Question is- how secure do I have to make the garden i.e. do I have to ensure there are no gaps where they could squeeze under the fence? Do I have to plan for the fact they can flutter up a small tree and over the fence that way? Will hens look to escape or do they like to stick close to home? And how high can hens flutter with their wings clipped? thanks, r0ss

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello and welcome to our happy, sometimes mad, throng!!

The answer is 'the grass is always greener' I'm afraid and they will, after a while, want to explore.
You can never, without doing a complete Prison Camp situation, prevent them really.

The other problem is that if you've made it hard for them to get out, they may not work out how to get back in, which could be more 'danger'.

Are you in a town situation?

Saying all that, I don't want to paint a gloomy picture. If you're in the garden watching them, you can re-direct them accordingly.

They don't like gaps horizontally, but the same size gap vertically would mean exit.

You could try just covering the vulnerable bits with something you can place there when they're out and hide away after they're back in - they do 'home' well.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
r0ss
Learner Laner

Post by r0ss »

thanks Richard. Yes, I'm in a town with neighbours both sides (one with a dog) so I have to try and keep them contained.Some of the fences are only 4 foot high- could they flutter over?
Should I maybe just consider keeping them in the run all the time? If I give them a taste of freedom occasionally, will they find it stressful when most of the time they are confined?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yes, I think they'd get over 4' without too much effort, even with a wing clipped.

But, on the second note, no I don't think so. I used to let mine out, but on cricket days (up to 4 days) I wouldn't let them out. They didn't seem to mind.

It's easy to see them sitting there and have a guilty consience, but most of the time they're just sitting there waiting the next food visit!

It's a good size pen you have there, so don't worry too much.

I've seen a passing dog set about one of my chickens, it's not a pretty sight - but some dogs do and some dogs don't. It's a hard one to call.

Maybe about 18" of chicken wire along the top of the fence?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you put something floppy on top of the fence (chicken wire, netting) they won't be able to flap up and perch on it.
Flock netting is only 4' high and it usually keeps them in if it isn't sagging in the middle. But they sometime have spells of getting out.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

securing the garden

Post by AnnaB »

Hi rOss
I have had to separate mine in the run. I use the sheep hurdles but they are only 3 ft high so I have put some pond netting above them and some white tape streamers (deterrent) so that they wouldn't get tangled in it. The pond netting is fine as it is light and easy to remove when you need to. I must point out that this will not deter foxes if they have a mind to get in