Help and advice thinking of keeping chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Maggie May
Learner Laner

Help and advice thinking of keeping chickens

Post by Maggie May »

Hi everyone. My husband Brian and I are thinking of keeping chickens. We have a large ish garden but only a small lawn and a big dog. We have a dog run about 12ft by 12ft which has a concrete base and drainage, it has a kennel in it at the moment. Bonnie the boxer doesnt like being in it until we started talking about keeping chickens and then yesterday she had a snooze in her kennel. Do you think she heard us? My question - if we keep chickens what should we put on the floor of the run? Will they be ok not getting on to grass? What type of housing will we need? How many could we keep in this space? What food would they need given that they would not have any grass. I am starting worm composting soon so should have a supply of worms available eventually.. Can anyone help we really are new to this as you can probably tell.. Thanks Maggie M

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Maggie,
Welcome to the forum.
You could cover the floor with wood chippings [not bark, as it isn't good for chickens] they do love the grass. But you can tip in your grass cuttings and they love those, I know mine do.
Just put a few perches in your dog kennel and that would do for housing. I am not sure how many you could keep in that size, but I am sure someone else or Richard will put you right.
Please consider rescuing some battery hens. They are put into cages, 5 to a cage, each is given just the size of an A4 piece of paper each. There is nothing for them do in this cramped little space other than to lay eggs on a barren wire floor, and peck the life out of each other. Have a look at Richard battery hen pages, on the site and you will see what they have to endure.
They make such lovely little pets, very quickly become tame and will keep you amused for hours. All this and eggs, just for giving them a life, a life like they have never known and that many that are in the battery with them will never know. As the 'surplus' ones go to be stock cubes, chicken pies etc, etc.
They will need to be fed layers mash to start with. Not sure other type of chickens only owned ex batterys. They then go onto layers pellets. Mine have all sorts of veg. They love a corn on the cob and greens of any sort hung from the top of the run. Of course mixed corn, oyster shell, and hen grit.
Worms....yes you will be a friend for life with worms.
This is like a book I will stop now
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If your hens have no grass the advice given in the wartime "dig for victory" books was to give tham some greens as well as their rations (layers pellets or mash nowadays). Mine like dandilions, but don't bother with cabbage (they've got grass). Some people say hang up a cabbbage and make them jump for it.

They like something to scratch at, a bit of turf maybe, or a dust bath. Richard has put some pictures of our strange hen-runs http://www.downthelane.net/forum-photo-page.html .
Make sure they can get some shade/shelter. They tend to stay out in all weathers, but like to get away from blazing heat and pouring rain (under a tree or something)
You'll find a lot of discussion on previous threads that will help.

Enjoy them when you get them.
Maggie May
Learner Laner

Help and Advice

Post by Maggie May »

Thanks both for the advice. At least now we know it is possible. We have found a supplier of Warren pullets at point of lay at a local pet supplier (farm). She said that if we rescued battery hens as we wanted to they wouldn't lay!! We know that you guys would put us straight on how to deal with rescue birds so any advice welcome. She Also suggested shavings in the house and sand in the run and while this would seem an easy option we want to use compostable materials so the jury's still out on that one. Keep coming with advice and tips for a very new beginner. Thanks
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

No worries on the eggs from ex-batts. Mine are still laying for England after 4 years !!

Good advice from Wendy and Mo which couldn't be added to.

There are loads on this forum, especially including myself, who really worried about doing the right thing. But chickens are truly quite easy to look after.
Like Mo's, mine love dandelions. They'll only eat what they want to and you'll find out very quickly what they do!!

Mo also raises a good isuue in that a lot of people kept chickens on the Home Front, my Grandparents did and my parents after the war. They didn't have half the stuff there is now.

My word, it is so good to see so many people wanting chickens. Your own eggs, good friends, theraputic to watch - what more is there )t'

Speak soon, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep, they lay for England, these ex battery girls. Sometimes not quite the perfect shape. But still the perfect taste.
My Dad kept chickens when I was young also, and there was never anything 'manufactured' also none for the dogs and cats either.LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I think it's each to their own, with what hens they choose, but personally ex-batteries are amazing.

They're cute, docile, funny, and when they get their first taste of the outdoors it brings a tear to your eye!!

I get daily eggs from mine, and they're lovely - what more could you ask for!!
Small steps lead to big changes