beaded curtain

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
b_cos_1_can

beaded curtain

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i need to keep my lades out of the kitchen...will they stay away from one of those beaded curtains like, they had in the 70's and some still have now? it still lets the fresh air in but creates a false barrier. have any of you had any experience with these? :-D :?:

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

beaded curtain

Post by AnnaB »

Kat
You'll need something more substantial - can you put a washing line across the door and hang some pond netting on it and weigh it down at the bottom? I am sure they will walk straight through beaded curtains!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think so to. It would be alike to shoots of plants etc.

How about a baby type gate. I once made one out of an old baby fireguard?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i blocked it half way up with spare wood (bit tough to get in and out for me) and they flapped right over it! they tried to get on my fridge freezer last night but didnt quite make it. what will they be up to when theyre at full strenght??
i dont know that a baby gate would work and i dont have any netting.
its almost like i need one of those outer doors like americans have on their houses (but i cannot afford or attach one)
if any other ideas come up.....please shout!! i love them but i dont want them thinking my kitchen is another coop!
(and they only come in after 6pm!!)
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Kat.
I have parrots [fully flighted] but I also am a fresh air fiend.
I have had a friend make up a panel, like my chicken panel, with wire in it. I have two small holes in the floor, and a couple of screws at the bottom of the panel go in there, and a hook and eye at the top of frame and panel. Fresh air in, birds in. I will take a photo and PM it to you if you want. I also have small types that go over all my windows.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Silly question - but don't you have fly screens on windows and screen doors (I think thats what you mean when you say "outer door").

How do you keep the bugs and flys out, or isnt it a big problem over there?

cheers
Jodi
wendy

Post by wendy »

No, we don't have fly screens. But no bug problems as such.
We are quite a temperate climate really.
Wendy
Last edited by wendy on 05 Jun 2007, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

wendy a pic would be great cos i dont have a clue form the explanation :? thanks

i dont get flys in the house generally, maybe a wasp or two if theyre brave enough to face me!

i need to do something cos theyre becoming really cheeky, as soon as u turn my back to walk in they try to follow or they wait till im out of site (hiding round the corner) before they come running in to settle down in my larder! :shock: :?:
wendy

Post by wendy »

I am going out soon, But will take some photo's when I get back.
My girls don't come in the lounge as I have a small fence and gate into the major part of the garden.
1 to keep my GSD away from the chickens, as I have said I don't think her intentions are honourable
2 to keep all my dogs off the grass, otherwise it would be a mass of brown patches !!!
Good thing is, it keeps the girls from the house. But they all do sit on the garden bench and watch us through the conservatory window LOL
Wendy

Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I'm envious.......fly's gather around our doors waiting for someone to let them in, don't believe anyone about the great Aussie BBQ, it's nothing but a frustrating fly fest. (off topic!)

Do you have shade cloth? A light home made frame covered in shade cloth then hinged to the door frame would be a cheap option.

cheers
Jodi
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

im not meant to attach anything to my door frame as such cos im in rented property! :shock: im allowed to attach a 'net' like you see up at windows! but i dont think im allowed a frame!
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

I'm glad you have this problem too... our ladies are in and out of the kitchen like yo-yos... I found one in the rabbit cage (he DOES live in the kitchen but was in his run at the time) the other day...
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!