Soft Egg Shells

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
b_cos_1_can

Soft Egg Shells

Post by b_cos_1_can »

so when you all talked of soft egg shells i thought they would be like normal shells but when u applied a little pressure they might flex a little.
however, this morning i let my ladies out and checked for eggs, to find two eggs, together (ive only ever found one at a time), and when i picked them up i found one was like a sack of water! its all squidgy and odd!
but my daughter asked.....is it ok to eat? and i dont know! so is it?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you can get it without breaking it, I think so. Mind you, with less protection from dirt and germs it might need cooking, I'd probably use it for baking, to be sure.

An egg is enclosed in a membrane (like the one you found); then, as it goes alomg the conveyor belt,shell is added. Sometimes the shell is thin and chalky, sometimes missing altogether.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

yes it is just like a membrane i spose!
as for baking, darn, ill just have to make some yummy cakes to scoff (wont do my diet any good will it :wink: )
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Soft Egg Shells

Post by AnnaB »

I had a couple the other week and she laid one soft egg in the run (if she starts eating then I shall have no eggs!!)
I bought a china egg from the local corn store when I first had them, I put this back in the nest box and she has laid there every day this week proper shelled eggs.
I also agree with Mo if the membrane is intact in a soft shell then I have had no problems eating them.
Don't forget the weather upsets their routine (too hot, too cold) and they don't lay.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

They're still quite new to their surroundings, so I reckon they'll settle down OK.

Even after a long time, they can lay 'an odd one' now and again. Often this lasts a few days, then they go back to normal again.

They're getting loads of TLC that's for sure. All will be well I'm sure.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

thanks for the reassurance guys!
:-D