Newbie with 9-5 job...

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
wibble5
Learner Laner

Newbie with 9-5 job...

Post by wibble5 »

Hi there everyone, I'm new to chicken keeping (as in I haven't got them yet, but have lined up next weekend for the big day) - just a question regarding how to keep them happy and comfortable when I'm at work 9-5 weekdays.

Getting a couple of chickens was something I and my partner had thought of doing for the past couple of years, and we were on the point of getting them when he suddenly passed away a couple of weeks ago. But I decided that I'd still like some chickens to care for, as I'm sure they'd be great company, and he'd have wanted me to still get them. (We were going to call them Stella and Guinness, after our usual round down our local...)

I have a reasonably sized city backyard and a shed which is about 2m x 1m and 2m high (and which I've lovingly converted into a veritable chicken palace with perch, nesting box and special chicken door). Can I leave them in the shed for a few hours during the day until I get home, or would this be cruel? Would they get too hot in the summer? The shed's dry and pretty well ventilated with mesh to let the light in. I'm just a bit wary of leaving them wandering about the yard on their own while I'm not there, as although it's secure and the walls are about 7ft high, I don't know if they'd try to escape over them or whether a fox would come. Would it be possible to create a small temporary run out of netting when I'm out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry for going on so long!

Regards

Sam, Hull

morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hi there and welcome to the forum

You'll soon see that you'll be able to get lots of advice from people here, and they're really helpful.

I also work similar hours to yourself, and keep my chickens in an outdoor run connected to their house. I would personally suggest that they have access to the outdoors during the day, as being cooped up (pardon the pun) in a shed maybe a little sad for them.

I know that commercial farmers do keep their chicks inside depending on their methods, but as we're back yard keepers, I think it's kindest to let them outside.

It does seem that your yard is fairly secure (being 7 ft high), but if you're not comfortable, I would suggest building a run attached to the house if you could. Doesn't have to be large, and then you could let them out in the yard during the evening?
Small steps lead to big changes
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

Thanks for that - I've made sure that when I get them I'll have a few days at home to observe their habits, so I'll be able to see just where they go and what they get up to! I'm getting the idea that they can be pretty wiley critters (and that's not just because I've watched Chicken Run). I'm sure there'll be nooks and crannies I haven't thought of so it'll be interesting to watch them explore. I've already fenced off part of the yard, so it's probably just a case of making a smaller enclosed run next to the chicken door if I'm leaving them for long periods. The yard's paved, so foxes shouldn't be able to burrow underneath as I can peg the run down securely between the pavers. Fortunately I'm working nights next week (the last before I go 9-5) so I can come home in the mornings, let them out, and have more time during the day to observe them (in between going to sleep, obviously!).
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hi wibble, welcome!

im sorry to hear your sad news but as you said, he wouldnt want you missing out on something you planned together! :)
(and they a brilliant company)

if you look on the pictures page or richards site, wendy has a brilliant setup. its all encolsed for daytime and when shes home they can roam about out of the run! envy}}

anyway, welcome to the site and keep us updated with ur ladies!!

best wishes
kat
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello and welcome.

I'm sure that seven feet will be OK. Cities and towns have far more foxes than most rural parts, so look for any ways in carefully!

I'm sorry to hear of your sad news and hope that this may bring some happiness to you and although nothing can replace a lost one.
They will bring you joy for sure.

Take care,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome, and my sympathy too.
Hope your hens bring you some comfort