Bird Flu in Suffolk

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Bird Flu in Suffolk

Post by OldForum »

Richard
Just thought it may be the right time for those wishing to have a say and share thoughts about this issue.

Mo
I'm disgusted, that Bernard Matthews is allowed to start rearing turkeys again in those crowded conditions that lead to spread of disease, while the small flocks still have to be kept inside.
Could it be to protect them from seagulls dropping infected turkey trimmings in their run?

Wendy
Another disgusted one here Mo.
I have just been watching Country File, and how the free ranger farmers are being badly affected by having to keep their hens indoors. While Bernard Matthews now is back running.
I always said it would be the 'big' ones that will cause the problems, when all the so called experts said it was the small hobbyist, like ourselves, that would be the souce. Laid a lie to that one then!!

skewbaldpony
Agree it's disgusting. They shouldn't be allowed to operate, full stop.
Some bloke on the radio, singing BM's praises, saying 'turkey used to be a luxury, and BM made it cheap and commonplace' well DUH.
Until people get a grip on the real price of food, what do we expect?
It's all just head in the sand stuff, promoted by the supermarkets, whose sole interest is in profit, they don't give a fig if the countryside dies around them, in fact they'd prefer it, since then everyone would be even more reliant on them.
Lemmings, out there, by the million.
(this event has not brought out the best in me, LOL)
Before anyone points it out,yes I know apparently that's not true about lemmings. Oh well!

Colin
It's an emotive subject I know, but I can't help thinking that we get the food we deserve. Consumers (for the most part) tend to put price before quality in almost all purchasing decisions (not just food). This has the natural result of causing price wars amongst shopkeepers who in turn force prices down from their suppliers. Those suppliers then have to try to be as "efficient" (i.e. low cost) as possible with the obvious result that quality suffers, since quality and low cost very rarely go together.

skewbaldpony
i agree, but the govt, and eu have a lot to answer for. take for example pigs, our welfare standards are high, supposedly because our citizens demand high welfare standards. so why is cheap pork available in the shops from countries with low welfare standards? Consumers don't make those kind of choices at the checkout, they make them in the polling booth. They are then undermined by corporate greed.