SCARED HENS

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
peterg
Learner Laner

SCARED HENS

Post by peterg »

Hi everybody can you help. we got some ex bats a couple of weeks ago and they seem to have established a pecking order but one remains very scared of the other three. the others only seem to look at her and she starts making a lot of noise and runs madly about the run under the other hens the food bowl etc. etc sending everything flying. she is also reluctant to come out in the morning. on the other hand she always make sure she gets her share of sweetcorn and other tit bits.

anyone know how to deal with this, the others do not seem to be attacking her any more so taking out an aggressive hen does not appear to be the answer. NB she does seem a different breed to the others

Peter

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello Peter, welcome.

I had a similar thing with one of my ex-batts a long while back. It often does take time to settle down.
You could try separating her during the day and tucking her up with them at night, but as long as there's no real violence, my guess is they will settle down.

Equally, it could be that she has a timid personality. I guess hens have their own little characteristics.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's the old 'some and some' I think.

There is a small possibilty that she's unwell, but only time will tell there. But she's eating and drinking - so it sounds OK.

Hope all goes well and keep us posted. All the info on this forum is a wealth of information to those thinking of having chickens - espercailly ex-batts!!

)t' Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
peterg
Learner Laner

Post by peterg »

Thanks Richard, as you suggest it is wait and see. many thanks for your reply and I will keep you posted

Peter