Homemade treats

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
garethj
Learner Laner

Homemade treats

Post by garethj »

Hi all just made a peck block for my girls and it appears to be a hit. It turned out to be very simple to do after finding a reciepe in an old post on here i modified it a little bit and they still love it. if any1 wants further info let me know.
Has any1 else made any homemade treats for their girls, it would be great to know what )t'

Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Re: Homemade treats

Post by Karhog »

They look great.... Bet the girls love them! )t'
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

i made some the other week using a recipe from an old post. Water, egg and flour and I mixed in corn and dried mealworms. Baked them in tin foil on a low heat in the oven but they went REALLY hard. Like so hard the chickens couldnt pack them. I ended up having to crumble them up so theyd eat them. Dont know what I did wrong. How did you make yours? They look great! :)
garethj
Learner Laner

Post by garethj »

Hi Scooby88, mine was done with 1 egg, 2 heaped tablespoons of plain flour and water. i added the egg first and gave it a whisk then mix in the flour and stir to make a smooth paste add water in needed to make the paste smoother. I added 4-5 handfulls of layers pellets and 2-3 handfulls of mixed corn giving it a good mix. I then broke the egg shell into very small pieces and sprinkled this into the mix and gave it a good mix up. I used a babys food container as a mould and packed it all in then turned it out onto tin foil. I added the hoop ( made from the hook part from an old coathanger) covered the whole thing in tinfoil. Oven was preheated to 120c and they where placed in the middle and baked for about an hour until they where almost hard in the tin foil (only very slight movement when pressed) then left to cool in the tin foil on a cool tray until cold (they seemed to go a bit harder as they cooled down)
Hope this helps )t'
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Thanks, that sounds pretty much the same as what I did. Maybe I left them too long in the oven. Mine were very sticky too and couldnt mould them with my hands as it just ended up everywhere. I think I might have another bash this afternoon. Thanks again )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I'm thinking, vending cup with a slit cut in the bottom for the hook and use the cup as a mould for the mixture. Put in the fridge to harden it up? Then tap or cut the cup away to serve...