Swollen abdomen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Swollen abdomen

Post by OldForum »

AnnaB
Noticed one of my girls had a swollen abdomen this week and as she had a full moult in Dec and has not laid since (not a problem for me) I thought she may have become eggbound. Took her to the vet this morning and on examination there was no eggs. The vet aspirated over 1/2 pint of yellow (not smell) fluid. She also gave her antibiotics. Floss has spent the day in a box in the conservatory. She is eating and drinking and hopefully the dr-ugs will work.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Wendy
Hi Anna,
My girls have been remarkably healthy, so no help I am afraid.
What a shame for her, did he say what he thought the problem was? some kind of infection as she is on antibiotics?

AnnaB
Thanks Wendy
He is a she vet!!! She gave the antibiotics as as precaution I think. There is an avian vet in Solihull West Midlands who she said to go to if the swelling comes up again. Today was really 1st aid. Floss appears to be enjoying her new surroundings and is exploring. I shall leave her in there tonight and if the weather is OK tomorrow I'll put her back in the run if I feel she is up to it.

Wendy
unfortunately avian vets are few and far between. Lets hope you won't have to go there.
Glad to hear she is perking up
Wendy