Sick Duck

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Sick Duck

Post by Cranford Steve »

My Dotty is really not herself. She laid this morning out in the open not in her house where she usualy does. She is moving but only when I go near and its not like she normaly does. It looks as if she is dragging her self around like it hurts. I have checked her feet for bumble foot but they seem all clear. I am wondering if she has a stuck egg? Really dont know what to do!
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]

Steve the Gas

Re: Sick Duck

Post by Steve the Gas »

Give her a warm belly bath. )t'
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

Do you think she could just be cold?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Nope.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Through all my years of ducks I have never known them cold. If she has laid this morning I would doubt a stuck egg. Check the rest of her legs not just the feet. Never had a duck with bumble foot. Has she got diarrhoea? Is she collapsing or just walking funny. Ducks can go off their legs. I have had ducks not go back to the house to lay if they get caught short. Assume there is no sign of prolapse.
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

Grannyof4 wrote:Through all my years of ducks I have never known them cold. If she has laid this morning I would doubt a stuck egg. Check the rest of her legs not just the feet. Never had a duck with bumble foot. Has she got diarrhoea? Is she collapsing or just walking funny. Ducks can go off their legs. I have had ducks not go back to the house to lay if they get caught short. Assume there is no sign of prolapse.

I have checked her legs and they seem fine. Her stool was white and sticky not runny. She walks a bit then collapses, as if it hurts. No sign of prolapse. >coc<
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

How old is she? What do you feed?
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

Grannyof4 wrote:How old is she? What do you feed?

Roughly a year old. I feed them layers pellets and mixed corn, also they forage alot.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Poor feeding can cause leg problems in ducks but it doesn't sound as if that is the problem but more usual in early days. How is she today?
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

Grannyof4 wrote:Poor feeding can cause leg problems in ducks but it doesn't sound as if that is the problem but more usual in early days. How is she today?

Much the same. She made it in to the house last night, and came straight out this morning. She is just sitting down again. I have read it could be worms, as this causes them to go off there legs. I dont know when they were last wormed if ever as I kind of rescued them. I will get some worming stufff today.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Never thought about worms..........will be interested to see if that is the problem.
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

Grannyof4 wrote:Never thought about worms..........will be interested to see if that is the problem.

been looking at her today, seems to be more of a limp now! will have to give her another check over in the morning