Decking and rats?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
julieann
Legendary Laner

Decking and rats?

Post by julieann »

Hi I'm thinking of getting some decking in the garden. A friend has kind of put me off as she says someone told her it attracts rats as they love to nest under it. Has anyone else heard or experienced this problem?
Julie x

wendy

Re: Decking and rats?

Post by wendy »

I have a large deck at the end of the garden, where the sun is.
We don't get rats under there. But it is covered underneath with that plastic stuff that stops weeds from growing through. Perhaps that is the reason.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Same as Wendy, we've never had any problems and have the black base sheet. Sitting out there in the summer - when we have one! is lovely )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Rats do like to make a nest under something that gives them protection and cover from the elements. Under decking and sheds is a good place as the centre is almost always dry. It doesn't mean they'll pick your decking to nest under though.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

This is a bit like putting the horse before the cart.

If you have rats I'm sure they'd love to nest there.
If you have no rats to nest then you have no rats.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
wendy

Post by wendy »

That figures Orfy )t'

julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Thanks everyone. I think my friend just panicked me. We had rats a couple of years ago and they were coming in the house! (pre chickens). We found that kitchen fitters had left gaps in the floor behind the cupboards. These were blocked and the cats did their job bless them and we haven't seen one since....that was said with fingers crossed so i don't tempt fate! I've spoken to a few people who have no probs. I think it makes sense that the membrane you put under decking isn't exactly cosy and I have a shed and no probs plus chickens. I've talked myself into it.......with some advice/reassurance from yourselves :-D
Julie x
ock

Post by ock »

do it )t' , just think of the hours you`ll spend in the summer sat out there sipping wine in the sunshine )hic( )t'
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)t' I love mine, especially in the summer with a vino in my hand )hic( good call Ock.

What do folk with decking use to treat it? I've always used a wood stain rather than wood paint but it never lasts long thanks to the driving Scottish rain 11 months of the year!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

I love mine too, the sun always stays there the longest.
It is surrounded by conifers, so the neighbours can't see us.
Great to have friends round and a spend pleasant evening there......when we get them of course.
I don't know what we use. But will find out when himself gets in.

julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Hi I like a glass of )hic( myself.......well a bottle sometimes {rofwl} especially in the sunshine. Where I'd like the decking is where the sun lasts well into the evening, heaven after work with a few chooks clucking around :-D
Julie x
tanyauk00
Learner Laner

Post by tanyauk00 »

i have decking without the weed free sheets under it and i have several rat holes leading under it that have only apperared in the last 3 wks, my neighbour was quick to point out one of the tunnels leads into her garden :oops: i havent actually seen the rat and it hasnt caused any nusience either but definately been 1 there.
it doesnt put me off sitting out on it though :-D
YVONNE
Learner Laner

Post by YVONNE »

I had a Gardener of 42 in the poroffesion and he warned me even before he started to measure up, if was my hom, never would he put decking. When i ask why, he explained, that evry home hes been to repair any decking, is full of rat tunnels under, due to warmth and food from BBQ ect.
This has put me off, he said no problem , he will do the work for me, but beware of this problem, its getting we are having more problem with rats in UK now due to decking. See....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lague.html

You may not have rats or mice now, as they dont want you cold gardens, but make a nice warm place for them, and they will move in rent free it seems.
Somebody said, if you dont have rats now you wont then, thats rubbish, if you dont have mice, rats now, and then provide a warm place outside, like a shed, decking, most likely you will get these vistitors.
I am now worried and just need to explaine to hubby about thsi problem, the man of 42 years experiance of gardnes and garden work, i think knows what he is talking about, and fair play to him for mentioning it to me, as i may now not have the work done,m and he would have lost a job that would have cost me about £1500

He hates rats witha vengance, as sees many in his line of work. He said get new slabs, have them laid nicely, he does not even do slabbing.

YVONNE
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Moderators great care last post TROLL
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Do not click on website below last post it's a TROLL moderators please remove last post
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/