have they got lice

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
yogi
Lively Laner

have they got lice

Post by yogi »

while sitting in the garden on our one day of sun (RAINS A LOT IN SOUTHERN IRELAND) i was watching one of thehens she picked up a piece of straw and started stroking her back she picked up more straw and did the same thing was she trying to get rid of lice? some one told me if they live in wooden hutches they catch lice quickly, as i am new at this im not to sure what to do can anyone give advice yogii

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

have they got lice

Post by AnnaB »

Hi yogi
It would appear that she was just playing with it but to be sure dust the coop with special powder and also your girls. I have stopped giving mine straw as I kept getting bitten!!
Have a look on member Wendy's website as there a lot of articles about something called diatomaceous earth which I have yet to check out.
Best wishes Anna
Last edited by AnnaB on 21 Jun 2007, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
yogi
Lively Laner

take out the straw

Post by yogi »

thanks anna for your prompt reply will remove the straw just to be on the safe side the chickens have a few acres to play on and put themselves in a night it could be something they have picked up in the fields )t' yogi