shredded bank statements

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
b_cos_1_can

shredded bank statements

Post by b_cos_1_can »

can i use shredded bank statements and phone bills in the coop or would it be too harsh for my ladies?

i know theyre not very absorbant but thought they might make it a bit more comfy for them!

katxx

Sarah S
Learner Laner

Post by Sarah S »

I've tried this when I couldn't get hold of any straw and I wouldn't do it again. It turned very papier mache like at the bottom of the coop once it had been trampled on with wet muddy hen feet. They also managed to spread it all around the garden. Then again that was during a very wet spell and it might work better during the summer.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I've used shredded paper a few times. Haven't had problems with the moisture bit, but the chickens kept eating it :-D

Best to stick with 'proven methods' I think

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

shredded bank statements

Post by AnnaB »

Kat
Haven't you started your compost heap yet? All the chicken droppings and shredded paper and you won't have to buy compost next year to grow strawberries for your girls (all of them)!!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hey anna,

i dont have a compost bin or the materials to build or buy one, so i bung it all in my neighbours compost bin :shock: notmee

just wandered if there was a way to use them b 4 composting them!

ive found that all my fresh kitchen stuff goes to the chooks and the ginuea piglets and the grass cuttings too! so am worried about getting the 'mix' wrong.

the bin had ants and was dry and twiggy b 4 i got my hands on it, now im just bunging all the right kinda stuff in there and hoping for the best! dont know that its gonna work though!