Newbie with lots of questions

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sunny
Lively Laner

Post by sunny »

Hi, My first 6 chickens have just moved in. They have an arc suitable for 10 with a nesting box either side and chicken wire under their run. I have sawdust in the nesting boxes and a little under their perches (to make it easier to clean), but am wondering what to put in the run? Once they've settled in, they will be allowed out into the garden to roam free, meantime, I've moved the arc when its looked very mucky. A friend recommended rape straw, which is used with horses and includes eucaliptise, which apparently keeps down flies. It was also suggested I could use it in the nesting boxes too. What do you think? Also, when cleaning the arc what disinfectant can I use, is something like detol ok? And finally, I need to protect my veggie patch. I'm thinking of using 5ft chicken wire with 2 inch holes - do you think this will stop the girls getting to my lettuce?
Many thanks for your tips.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi and welcome.

On the 2" holes, that'll be fine for just keeping them out. Watch they don't go under it though. Any hole where the earth is uneven, they'll find it.

Just as a point (not applicable to you Sunny I'm sure), but two inch holes in mesh aren't always enough to keep a fox out. If they can get the top or lower jaw inside a hole, or stretch the wire to get a grip, they have teeth like wire cutters.
Ark and fencing where you're not shutting them in needs to be 1" or 1" x 1/2" and at least 5' high.

As for the disinfectant, I just hose mine out occasionally. This has been OK for 7 years now, but I have two quite big sheds with loads of room etc.. But I know there is special stuff, I'm sure someone else will have the answer for you.

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
sunny
Lively Laner

Post by sunny »

Hi Richard,
Thank you for your response. The chicken wire is to keep the chickens out of the veg. I think we've been lucky so far because neither the foxes (and we have plenty) nor the deer (loads of them too) have had a munch, I suspect though, that the chickens will have a field day on it, given the chance. I intend to let the chickens roam the whole garden initially and see how it goes. If they get up to too much mischief, then I will have to build an extension on their run, which I think is presently too small, if they aren't allowed to roam free.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A field day indeed :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

i let my two have the run of the garden at first but i couldnt believe the havoc they cause plus one of my girls was terrorising the dog and she wouldnt leave the kitchen unless the chicken was in the run! so for peace and harmony for all they are safely back in their run.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i also let mine have the run of the garden but i did it too soon! come night time they were nesting in my kitchen cupboard or under the ginuea pig hutch!
wendy

Post by wendy »

My Girls free ranged for about 15 months, and I had no grass and I mean NO GRASS. We had to completely re turf.
My OH has now built a 40 foot x 5 foot run for them and they come out into a temporary run now and again to eat a little grass at a time.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

I also have the same arrangement as Wendy 30 x 8 ft. They come out daily weather permitting and if we are in the garden into their 'sheep hurdles' on the lawn.
I have far too many vegetables growing at the moment and although they get loads of 'treats' there has to be something left for us!